I Ride for Donuts

Anyone else using disc brake tabs for fender mounts AND running disc brakes?

I can obviously see the potential for a problem, but I haven't had any issues...

I was forced to do this in the rear when I started using my BOB trailer... the fender supports, which already had to be bent to clear the disc brake, got in the way of the fork of the trailer...there's a lot going on right there with discs, fenders, and a trailer. So I shortened the fender supports and used the actual brake caliper mounting bolt to secure both the brake and the fender. You can sort of see what I did in this picture:

now my homemade tab on the front of the bike has broken (rickety hose-clamp situation) and I'm thinking I'll do the same thing with the disc caliper mount up front. I haven't had any issues with the back.

Thoughts?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Air Pirate
    I don't have a trailer, but I do run discs and fenders together. To avoid problems that might arise by using the same hole to mount the fender stay and brake caliper I went with the Planet Bike Speedez ATB fenders. These things use a rubber mount with rubber straps to attach to the stays. You can slide the fender stays in their mounts and even bend them to adjust the fit. I even attached them to a front suspension fork, placing the attachment point above the brake caliper.

I have had no problem with the rubber mounting system moving around or failing. I am pretty sure you can use zip-ties instead of the rubber straps if you wanted, but I have had no need yet.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Do they make those in a 29er version? I'm running 29x2.35 Big Apples... The Planet Bike Cascadia fender is the best full covererage option I've found for these monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    I don't have a trailer, but I do run discs and fenders together. To avoid problems that might arise by using the same hole to mount the fender stay and brake caliper I went with the Planet Bike Speedez ATB fenders. These things use a rubber mount with rubber straps to attach to the stays. You can slide the fender stays in their mounts and even bend them to adjust the fit. I even attached them to a front suspension fork, placing the attachment point above the brake caliper.

I have had no problem with the rubber mounting system moving around or failing. I am pretty sure you can use zip-ties instead of the rubber straps if you wanted, but I have had no need yet.
    I've got a friend who used these fenders on an old Cannondale roadie that had odd rear dropouts that didn't fit regular fenders. They worked well until he was hit by a car and the C'dale frame broke.

Did I catch a niner?
    I have to on my rear (Vassago Fisticuff). I think the tab will be fine I would maybe just get a stronger bolt (steel).
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have done it on several bikes. Works just fine. I even mounted a rack with one.

I Ride for Donuts
    Good deal...thanks guys. I have had it that way in the rear most of the summer...no issues yet but I'm nervous messing with the caliper mounting situation. I guess the fender strut just acts like a big fat washer...shouldn't take any strength away from the caliper/tab relationship. I might go for longer bolts at least.