mtbr member

anyone else ride a folder?

I got a Bike Friday New World Tourist the other day and I took it to work this morning for the 2nd time to day. just want to say this bike it great! It is not quite as nice over the bumps as my FS stumperjumper but with the steel frame and a bit of seat tube and handle bar flex it is not as bad of a ride as my aluminum HT rockhopper. I do 12 miles each way on it. here a few photos, it do not take as much space as my 4 door jeep

and it take up even less space when you fold it

2012 FatBack with BFL tires
    2010 Specialized StumpJumper FSR Expert
    2006 Specialized RockHopper

I Ride for Donuts
    Four door Jeep...

Folding bike...

I kid, I kid. Never ridden one. I would if I had to. Like, if it was the last bike on the planet and I didn't have a welder, I would totally ride it.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    4 door jeep in the same spot

I Ride for Donuts

My four door Jeep
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anyone else ride a folder?-picture1.jpg  

mtbr member
    maybe if we both did not drive off road rigs to work we cold same the gas money and not have to ride in

but what fun would that be

I Ride for Donuts
    Well I've only driven 6 times since August...

More gas money for the trails

weirdo
    I don`t have one, but I`m very interrested. CommuterBoy doesn`t like them because he doesn`t want people to know he`s a dork. He`s probably afraid to ride a recumbent, too. I`ve test ridden two foldies and a non folding minivelo- didn`t like any of them, but I have hope there`s a folder for me. Although the one I liked the absolute least of the three I tried was a BF Tikkit, I think I`d really like a NWT or Pocket Rocket. Just can`t seem to find one available.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    He`s probably afraid to ride a recumbent, too.
    Absolutely.

psycho cyclo addict
    Yah, since like 1995...

Recumbent trikes are awesome but $$$ and take up a bit more road than I feel comfortable with in a major metro area where every jerkwad is either texting, talking or daydreaming while driving motor vehicles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Folder? Nah. I ride a Trapper Keeper
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Dahon Vitesse. I can ride 17 miles each way or take a train 14 miles and ride the final 3. Bikes are banned on the commuter rail with the exception of the folding bikes with 20" or smaller wheels. It's necessity really.

You should try a folder with a geared internal hub. Zero maintenance and a lot cleaner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown
    Yah, ...in a major metro area where every jerkwad is either texting, talking or daydreaming while driving motor vehicles.
    Hate to dissillusion you or confirm your worst fears, It doesn't have to be a major metro area. The talking to people and looking at them in the back seat is in there with texting.

Interesting full suspension folder. CB if it had discs, would it still need to be the last bike rolling?

If the doors are off, isn't it a 4 door-less jeep? Just curious about terminology.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My friend is considering buying a folder once his work place implements paid parking even for employees only come June. Currently it is free.

I'm sure he could fit a regular full size bike in his apartment but he would rather have a folding bike, even if it has 700 or 26 wheels due to space constraints. Is there any down side to have a folder with smaller wheels like that over one with larger wheels?

For example, does the long seat tube or stem feel less sturdy than a regular bike?

I suggested he get a mini-velo with 20" wheels, but he thought they looked silly and rejected the idea. I think part of his reasoning for a full size folder is partly for looks. I already pointed out to him that the gearing on 20" wheels can make them go just as fast as 26 or 700 wheels.

mtbr member
    I am seriously considering adding a folder "to the fold".

I'm a car salesman and our new car and used car dealerships are diagonally across the street from each other across a busy two-lane highway (with center turn lane). I'm stationed at used approximately 50% of the month but need to clock in (and out) at New every day I'm on the schedule.

And since I can sell from either lot, it's inevitable that you have prospective customers come back to work numbers or whatever at the dealership that you are not "stationed" at for the day.

I think my record is driving back and forth four times during the day, not including the original walk in the door. And as you may know, vehicles do their absolute worst gas mileage when they are first started (not to mention the wear and tear on my car's starter, etc.)

My thought is to get a folder to keep either in the trunk of my car or at my desk and just park once in the morning at new and use the folder to go back and forth as needed (on days when I don't ride my Fuji Absolute 2.0 in to work).

There will also be a time this Summer when it will become too hot to ride my Fuji in to work since a sweaty smelly salesman is not exactly a good thing.
    I know some of you will scoff at it being too hot, but some of my shifts are noon - 8 pm and here in Pennsylvania we'll have 100+ degree days with 100% humidity.

I figure that no matter how hot it gets I'll be able to shoot across the 1/4 mile between the dealerships without sweating too much.

My commute to the dealership itself is a straight shot up a slight incline for 3.5 miles on that 2 lane busy highway I mentioned earlier. The commute home is a easy 3.5 mile "downhill".

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Awesome bike. 12 miles each way must be brutal on those tiny wheels.

weirdo
    Edub, I really dig your bike. I tried to find information about it last time you posted it and very little comes up. The few comments I`ve found on te net have all been glowing reports. PBW is apparently still in business, but now only as a distributor, so it looks like they`re pretty few and far between.

Anybody here ridden an Airnimal Chameleon, any chance? FS with 24 inch wheels

Moderator Moderator
    Marcster, I think that sounds like a great idea The irony of the car salesman on the bike is too good to pass up. What was that movie where the former actor gets a job as a car salesman and gets all knds of grief for showing up on a bike? Have you hd that problem or is your workplace more open-minded?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    Marcster, I think that sounds like a great idea The irony of the car salesman on the bike is too good to pass up. What was that movie where the former actor gets a job as a car salesman and gets all knds of grief for showing up on a bike? Have you hd that problem or is your workplace more open-minded?
    No, we're all pretty much open minded. A lot of the guys commute from some distance (30 - 60 minutes by car) and are jealous of my short commute.

Between my extensive hours at the dealership & my home business of developing/maintaining web sites, I bought the Fuji to try and get some exercise in during the day. Lack of time to exercise is a common complaint among the other salesmen.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc

Interesting full suspension folder. CB if it had discs, would it still need to be the last bike rolling?
    just saw this. Yes.

Moderator Moderator
    CB, your chariot awaits...only $50 at the local bike coop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anyone else ride a folder?-pinkfoldie.jpg  

I Ride for Donuts

Remember I teach at a high school... I don't want to get beat up after class.

mtbr member
    So on the way in to work some one yelled out a car "nice bike, ***". still kind of pissed about it. I all most got up to him about 1/2 mile down the road at a stop light. anyone else have some something like this happen to them? on a good note, I had a 12 year old kids ride by on BMX bikes about 2 weeks ago just as I was folding my bike to go in to the store to get some dinner and one sad to the other "is that a folding bike, cool!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Remember I teach at a high school... I don't want to get beat up after class.
    Repaint it camo (including the tires) and put gun racks on the back! No guns on campus obviously, but the disconnect of the macho racks might keep them at bay! Soon as I saw it, I was laughing too. Had to be aimed at CB.. Candidate for seeing who can put it out of its misery first without major surgery afterwards or paint it up nice for a sweet little girl. If it was the last bike rolling, I think I'd walk.

I Ride for Donuts
    I don't know if it could be made cool enough... it was bad enough when I showed up at school on a road bike I lost whatever cool points I had banked up to that point. Good thing I'm not here to impress people...