mtbr member

Anybody seen a Nissan Leaf?

I read a review of the all-electric Nissan Leaf and it said that when it goes under 16mph it beeps to warn pedestrians, since there is no engine noise. I am curious if anyone has been surprised by one going by (at above 16mph, when they are not beeping). Or did you hear it coming because of road noise?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Not a Leaf, but I did have a Prius surprise me one day. I don't recall the speed it was traveling, but it was definitely quiet. A lot of the time my ears are the first detectors of motor vehicles, especially from the rear.

UR

weirdo
    Nope, haven`t seen one or heard one, but I read an interresting article about a year ago about a team working on adding sounds to silent vehicles. They were testing to see what kinds of sounds were most effective at cluing people in to the fact that something big and heavy was comming.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Surprised by a Prius, sounds like a song title. Yes, I was. A loud oncoming truck completely masked it. Driver got a bit close so a glance in the mirror and: "WHAT THE?"

Also had one sneak up behind in a parking lot. So it isn't just pure electrics that can be difficult. Not sure whether more attentive listening that blind pedestrians do, would miss it as easily. I have tinnitus and missing chunks in the 15,000-20,000 Hz range, plus I can ignore sounds like crazy, aka 'selective hearing' - just ask Kathryn!

A lot on EVs and some on making them nosier here. The GM EV-1 had a well-thought out system and the Volt has the same, or close.

Not yet seen a Leaf of the electric car kind in the metal let alone not heard one!

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    plus I can ignore sounds like crazy

Good grief, Brian- there are over 500 posts in that thread!
    Not for today.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    OK, OK! So it is all the information about EV's you were afraid to ask.

Hereyago: Daryl's EV experience with the EV-1 and noise maker in this thread. Discussion of adding noise to EV's above and below that post. Had to run last time, so didn't hunt for it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    No. The Leaf has a great commercial though.

I have experienced Priuses in the form of the silent stalker with sudden engine ignition. Sometimes I am in my own world.

weirdo
    No mention in that thread of knobby tires or bicycle disc brakes. They`re missing out.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    There is a separate bike thread but it is road oriented, that's for sure. I find a nicer home here. I guess I am a MTB-less MTB-er at heart. That's how we rode our 26" x 1.75 tired bikes as kids. That kid isn't too far away as my wife reminds me once in a while!
    Last edited by BrianMc; 01-27-2011 at 03:33 PM.