mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Anybody here riding a fixie?

well i finally broke down & bought a "road" bike to use for commuting in place of my mtb.
    since i got away from gears & ride a singlespeed off-road & it is flat as can be here, i went with a ss for commuting too. it has the flip-flop hub that also has a fixed cog. since it is there on the bike anyway & i was curious to see what is the attraction to riding fixed, i have been trying it occasionally.
    lemme tell you...riding fixie is hard!!!
    i am not quite getting it & am wondering if anybody here can give any pointers?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch
    i am not quite getting it & am wondering if anybody here can give any pointers?
    Don't stop pedaling. It's a painful mistake that you generally don't make twice, but it's better not to make it at all

Like single-speed MTB, pick an all-around gear...I ride a 45x16 on a relatively flat commute. If you're not the smoothest pedaler, try a larger gear until your legs get used the to pedals pushing your feet through the dead-spots in your pedaling motion.

And, finally, just put some miles in and get used to it. Good luck and have fun!

(my trusty commuter...)

Ovaries on the Outside
    Fixed gear is awesome. I started commuting on one a while back because I liked the workout it gave me on the commute. Then I started doing long rides, then centuries and some singletrack.

I am for 70 gear inches for skinny tires. I can get up most hills with that ratio and downhills certainly teach me to spin.

Fatter tires I aim for 65 gear inches because you lose momentum so damned fast. If you are commuting with fat tires, I support SS, because then you can rail the snot out of the downhills.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    thanx for the replies...
    i am running very typical 46x16 ss/46x17 fixed & have yet to find anything that i couldn't get up. like i already mentioned, it is mostly flat here, i have to go out of my way looking for a couple bridges that have a challenging incline.
    i have absolutely no problem going anywhere on my bike when it is set-up as ss & when i've swapped it to fixed do not have tooo much trouble once i get rolling.
    but...
    so far i can't get really "comfortable" riding fixie. am always a little nervous about putting my feet down when stopping, or once i'm stopped getting going again without putting a couple new holes in my shin & the downslope on those bridges can be pretty exciting(?) when i'm riding it fixed.
    i guess it is hard to change habits of a lifetime but i just feel a bit better when i can coast

anyway, here's a pic of mine when i was building it:

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Are you using foot retention?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    hi unharmed...
    yeah, i use sorta low-rent mini toeclips. i always preferred platforms on my mtbs but learned real quick you got to have some retention riding a fixed gear bike.
    i've been working at it & think i am finally catching on & in fact am worried that it is becoming a bit addictive.
    the nimbleness and manueverability i feel on my bike when it is set-up fixed sometimes astonishes me & i just got to where i can skid a little, hop & skip some & almost do a real trackstand
    i recommend fixed gear for anybody that wants to bring something new to their bike-riding. lately i've been using it more than ss & i think it even enhances my off-road capabilities.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Good stuff. It is addictive, isn't it?

One Colorful Rider
    Winter Fixxie Commuter
    SJ Snow Job

Summer Fixxie Commuter
    R4 Delivery

Sunday Fixxie Commuter
    Taxi Please

mtbr member
    I prefer a harder gear for fixed so I would reverse your set up and run a 46/17 coastie, 46/16 fixed. Or if you like the 46/17 coastie, try a 15t fixed cog.

I've ridden fixed and SS quite a bit and I like them for a change of pace but wouldn't go with either exclusively...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Normbilt...all 3 of those bikes are fixed? you really are committed

Originally Posted by SteveF
    I prefer a harder gear for fixed so I would reverse your set up and run a 46/17 coastie, 46/16 fixed. Or if you like the 46/17 coastie, try a 15t fixed cog.

I've ridden fixed and SS quite a bit and I like them for a change of pace but wouldn't go with either exclusively...
    SteveF...i won't go exclusive either. now i ride fixed more often but generally on my shorter rides. i flip the wheel to ss when i plan on putting in the miles. the bike came with the 17t fixed cog & since i wanted ss too & wanted to try a different ratio i added the 16t freewheel. to be honest, i don't feel that much difference.

i do want to continue experimenting more with my gearing. but it looks like it could start getting expensive to buy more freewheels & similarly sized cogs, or chainrings, & chain to work with the changes. when i was shopping around i ran across this:

http://www.sram.com/sram/trekking-co...ngle-speed-hub

i know i'ts not new, in fact i think it was even mentioned somewhere on mtbr a few years back. but i am thinking that beyond the ease it gives in switching between ss & fixed, since you don't need freewheels anymore & decent cogs don't cost all that much, it will save someone like me more than a few $ in the long run.

does anybody here have any experience using sram's torpedo hub?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch
    I'm having a hard time seeing the brakes
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    the breaks are in the cog............

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by erickB
    the B-R-A-K-E-S are in the cog............
    exactly

btw, how do you still misspell brakes when responding to a post with the actual word in it?

FKA Malibu412
    Any time you're not feeling the love you can respond with:

"I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    yeah, in a way you guys are right...as a fg, that cog is a brake.
    but i just don't have the stones to go completely without brakes & i do ride it ss quite a bit.
    that pic was taken before i finished, i did put a front brake on...

~Disc~Golf~
    atta boy

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    now i just gotta get me some tight jeans & cute lil cap

& i still am looking for info re that sram torpedo hub