mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Any Northern VA/DC folk here?

Maybe you ride to and park your bike for the day and hop on Orange Line?
    I will be shortly to East Falls Church, only a 10 minute ride or so but beats walking. After eyeballing the bike locks they don't look all that secure, so I'm trying to find if there are better places to lock up along orange line closer in to DC.

Or if this isn't your particular commute, have you had, heard of or know of many issues with bikes being vandalized, stripped or stolen from Metro Stations?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ha, actually it did! I've looked at WMATA's site before several times to find more info on bike storage but somehow missed what I found with your links.

I had also found www.waba.org but their site must have been down when I posted this but it seems fine now. It's the Washington Area Bicyclist Association.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My brother and his wife used beat up Walmart bikes to commute to the E Falls Church metro for over a year. They never had a problem, but the bikes were far from an object of desire.

A woman at my office Metroed from downtown to Shady Grove, where her bike was locked, and then rode the rest of the way to the office. Again the bike was a Walmart special. She rode daily for a couple of years and everything was fine with it. She has since changed jobs and no longer uses the bike often. It still sits there for a couple of months at a time between uses.

Can't relate specific stories of bikes being stripped or stolen from racks but I can assure you that it happens.

Lockers are available at some stations but I assume that they are hard to come by.