mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Any experience with Ortlieb, Thule, or Axiom panniers?

I was looking at some Thule commuter panniers today and discovered that they were way too tall for my bike and big shoes, heel clip appeared inevitable. Otherwise, I loved the design, but not the price.

Axiom and Ortleib both have similar rear panniers without the hide- away mounting hooks, and in much better proportions for me and the Bosanova. The LBS will order any of these at a small discount, but sold the last Ortleib bag on the floor yesterday.

Any thoughts on any of these brands for durability, water resistance, and ease of clipping on and off? I think I am looking at the smallest bags offered by all three manufacturers as I don't need big volumes. Is the hidden hardware really worth the extra dough for a campus or office bag?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've used Ortlieb Front and back roller classics with Tubus racks for years. They are totally waterproof, very rugged survived numerous crashes and being goared by a wild boar in Indonesia; as panniers go they are excellent.
    Not cheap and quite heavy for commuting. I prefer the Topeak DXP trunk bag for commuting
    A buddy just got a set of panniers and racks from Bruce Gordon - these have a better compression system and easier access than the Ortliebs - I would go for those if buying again but I am more into bike packing these days. But those are ludicrously expensive something like $300 a pair

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I use axiom racks and panniers on 2 of my commuters and so far happy with them. I have the ones that are water resistant and have been happy with their performance. Axiom does have life time warranty. I bought the axiom rack as they have a variety of panniers, baskets, bags that attach to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks, I'll look at trunk bags a little more seriously.

Are the Ortleibs as cumbersome to get in and out of as they look? My canoeing dry bags have similar closures, which are great for keeping the sleeping bag etc. dry, but I only open them once or twice a day.

mtbr member
    I have Ortlieb Back Roller City's. I recently got them (first set of panniers) and have rode in one rain fall. Everything was bone dry. The Ortlieb mounting system is rock solid once you get it dialed in to your rack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    Any thoughts on any of these brands for durability, water resistance, and ease of clipping on and off? I think I am looking at the smallest bags offered by all three manufacturers as I don't need big volumes. Is the hidden hardware really worth the extra dough for a campus or office bag?
    I've used a variety of Ortlieb bags for over a decade. Between my GF and I we use one or two on a daily basis.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks all, the internet and my LBS have got me looking critically at Axiom's Randonee series. This thread has me looking more seriously at Ortlieb.

Both manufacturers have great options, I can get the Axioms for a little less money and they look like they are more cooperative for commuting. Am I misreading things?

I may want one set for commuting/ grocery shopping and another for touring, does that make a difference to anyone's recommendations?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ortleib is good. Carradice looks better when it's older though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    Thanks all, the internet and my LBS have got me looking critically at Axiom's Randonee series. This thread has me looking more seriously at Ortlieb.

Both manufacturers have great options, I can get the Axioms for a little less money and they look like they are more cooperative for commuting. Am I misreading things?

I may want one set for commuting/ grocery shopping and another for touring, does that make a difference to anyone's recommendations?
    Ortlieb makes a lot of panniers - so it really depends what specific bags you are comparing. They have commuter bags, shopping bags and touring bags.

View Ortlieb Products at http://www.ortliebusa.com

I think the roll top touring bags work well for everything including shopping and commuting.

When I am just touring I like the flip top bags they make.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com