mtbr member
    Aug 2008

New question here. any C-bros Mallet users?

I was thinking about the Mallet for my commuter bike b/c I rock C-bros, better than swapping clipless for platform all the time

but I can't find any good profile pics of the Mallet, not sure how "grippy" they will be, looks like just three set screws each side...

any thoughts?

Double-metric mtb man
    I have commuted with Eggbeaters and Acids....don't see why Mallets wouldn't work
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I was thinking more along the lines of having a platform/clipless combo...

mtbr member
    I have used Mallets for two years now. I like them because I can jump on the bike with sandals on and go for a quick trip. I bike my dog around using a springer, and I don't need to be clipped in for that.
    I'm not sure commuting would be good without my cleats. The eggbeater does impede pedaling with my street shoes. If you hammer down, your foot can slip off a little easier.

If you want to see a picture of something on the mallets close up, let me know.

Todd

mtbr member
    May 2007
    just started using the mallets here and like em. you can feel the eggbeater under regular shoes, but it really isn't that bad - i've no complaints when using regular shoes. there's enough grip for casual rides, but i wouldn't want to go bounding down a bumpy trail without being clipped in.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    I hated riding on the mallets with street shoes, definitely not as comfortable as being clipped in. My limit would be home to supermarket and back (10mins return trip), any longer than that and they are a PITA.

BIG and Bald
    Used to ride Mallets, swtiched to Time Z's 'cause Mallet's kept breaking. Love the Z's much better.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mallets are great pedals!
    52 gear inches

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i have these: http://crankbrothers.com/mallet2.php
    and love them.
    the screws are enough to get grip (you can raise them a little if you like) and tehre's some grooves in the pedals - I wouldn't want to mtb without being able to clip in, but you can certainly ride in street shoes, and can definitely get up or down a hill if need be without clipping on the trail (too much adrenaline?)

Go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

mtbr member
    I lOVE the mallets on my commuter. They feel very stable while clipped in, and when I go out for lunch or whatever they work great with plain sneakers....not as grippy as 50/50s mind you, but they certainly serve the purpose well.
    Peace Love Bicycles

mtbr member
    The mallets suck as real mtb pedals but would be perfect for commuters. If you hit rocks with the under side of the pedal the cleat disengages possibly throwing your foot off the pedal
    If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do.

Warren Miller

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    we don't have rocks in Iowa

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdoc132
    The mallets suck as real mtb pedals but would be perfect for commuters. If you hit rocks with the under side of the pedal the cleat disengages possibly throwing your foot off the pedal
    Does this apply to all Crank Brothers pedals or just Mallets? I would think all their clip less pedals would react this way if the Mallets do.

Todd

mtbr member
    People say that all egg beaters do that to an extent- and there is another type that will supposedly do it too as it has a similar 4 sided entry. I have never noticed it myself, but I guess its plausible. Either way, I would rather risk something like that happening just to have the ease of entry that egg beaters offer.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    How long of trips? I often commute on candies 2.5 miles one way with street shoes. You adapt. I've only been breaking out the bike shoes when it is rainy or snowy, since Id like the extra control in the former, and the latter is slippery and I'd probably want to change shoes at work anyways.

EDIT: I have never experienced the disengaging when hitting rocks, but for commuting, that is neither here nor there.

mtbr member
    I dont think so, the large flat pedal with the edge beveled away from your foot sort of guides the rocks into hitting the egg beater part in the right spot. I didnt have that problem with the candies but if your going to get candies you might as well have eggbeaters because the little plastic on them does nothing
    If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do.

Warren Miller

Recreational Racer
    I've been rocking the first generation mallets for over four years now. Been doing some local racing and commuting on Guam for the last two years. In all that time I've only had one unclip from a rock bash all the rest have been from crashes. Iv'e heard of other people acidently/inaverdently unclipping with out meaning to on other pedals with out hitting rocks. Can't be that many rocks on the way to work. You won't find near the unclipped support in other pedals. Street shoes can be uncomforable, what I've found that works okay is my thick soled work boots and my flip flops. When I get home from work I kick off the boots put on the flip flops and ride around with the kids. And if any of you have ever had to do it 8 to 10 hours a day in four pound steel toes can really get the dogs howling. Find some body that has a pair on their spare bike and ask if you can borrow them to try out for a week.
    “Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.”

mtbr member
    the mallet 1, the cheapest one has 4 set screws per side. I've used mine with 5.10s and a generic ''skateboard' shoe, and been pretty happy with it. Yes, you can feel the eggbeater thing in the middle, but it didn't interfere with pedaling, nor did it really seem to affect grip. Obviously if you weren't planning on ever using the cleats, real platforms would be better, but I like the mallet for commuting options a lot more than the shimano 'one side spd, other side platform'

renaissance cyclist
    I have the smarty pedals with the plastic adaptors that clip into one side. They were OEM on my friend’s bike. He preferred regular flats, and I wanted come kind of Crank brother petal because I already had eggbeaters on my MT bike, and I wanted to use the same shoes for commuting without having to change cleats. I just traded him my Platform pedals for his smartys. The plastic adaptor doesn’t have much grip, but they do prevent the eggbeater part from poking into the bottom of my feet. I only use the adaptors for quick trips to the grocery store and such. If I am going on a longer commute, I’ll just put on my shoes. They work well for the quick trips, but I wouldn’t do any serious riding on the adaptors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008