mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm Any BMX Commuters?

i was just wondering if there are any other people who use a BMX bike for commuting. how many are there?

what bike do you have(as in brand/model) and how far do you commute on it?

my bike is a Redline link 1.1 (2007)

My baby )
    i go 3 miles one way
    Last edited by headphonedude; 01-11-2009 at 05:06 PM.
    They call me ...
    "Grill"

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    YAY NOBODY!!!! jk im sure there is
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

mtbr member
    There are a couple in here that I am sure will chime in with some really nice rides. I have an '84 schwinn predator that I use for really short trips around my house. I got it for free and restored it. I love the simplicity and maneuverability that BMX bikes offer, but at 6'1 I just cannot get comfortable on the thing for more than short jaunts.

mtbr member
    lol nice Helmsdini.
    "A Fifth of Yager, a four pack or Red Bull, and a full suspension mountain bike, now thats quite a combo."

Braaaapp!
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmsdini
    There are a couple in here that I am sure will chime in with some really nice rides. I have an '84 schwinn predator that I use for really short trips around my house. I got it for free and restored it. I love the simplicity and maneuverability that BMX bikes offer, but at 6'1 I just cannot get comfortable on the thing for more than short jaunts.

Sweet. I had an 85 Predator.

I have a cluster-F of BMX parts put together into a bike (some Poverty, Diamondback, Jamis, and mroe). I used to ride it to work quite often when I lived ~ 1 mile away. Now I can't really bike commute, as I run all over the place to customer plants, somedays are over 100 miles one-way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by elvez
    I'd say so. it has

A) rigid frame/fork
    B) single speed
    C) one break
    D)20" rims (i think. right?)

is it a street (BMX) racer? by the size of the tires and the seat thats what i'd call it; a BMX street racer.
    They call me ...
    "Grill"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I went a whole summer on a 2007 specilized fuse. I have sense modded it with a five speed sram hub. I use to be the bmx enthusist, but last spring I got specialized pitch comp for mountain biking, but ended up commuting with it daily. When my derailur broke on the pitch, i tried to ride that to work, but it felt so much different. I think this was a case of too much control is less control.
    Bmx's are great fun on ramps, stairs, Jumps and tricks, but for a point to point mode of transport i much prefer a 26 inch or larger wheel.

mtbr member
    I have a DK S.O.B that I have commuted my 15km each way on a fare few times.

I think I prefer doing it on my Fixed track bike though.
    Mint condition Marzocchi 66RC for sale (170mm) pm to make an offer!

Ride in Japan? Come to the Forums!

MTB B'dos
    If you asked that question down here you'd find about 50% of the people use them - silly really IMHO - but it's the younger folkes who use them to get about the villages and such and then ride them anywhere. Actually with how they ride MTBs - seat lowered all the way down, for god know what reason - riding a BMX is really no different.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by elvez
    That looks like a cruiser class...24 inch wheels. I love those things. So fun. I raced in the old guy class a couple seasons ago. Too much fun. I'd love to build up another one.

As far as BMX commuting, I work at a high school...there are a ton of kids who 'commute' on their BMX bikes...they don't see it as commuting though. They ride all day, except for that chunk of time in the middle when they have to sit in class.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I haven't commuted on this yet, but take it on 10-15 mile rides a few times a week. I think it's having a harmful effect on my knees, they're usually sore for a day or so afterward, and I don't have that problem with my road bike. Haro TR2.2 24" mostly stock w/Maxxis Hookworms and currently wearing a Brooks B72.

Fat-tired Roadie
    You need to be really careful with your knees. It's easy to lose a whole season if you get hurt.

That looks like a fun ride, though.