Moderator Moderator

Any advice on these?

Considering these shifters for my friend's old 90's (?) 3x7 hybrid (Mongoose Crossway)...
    Universal Cycles -- Sram MRX Comp Twist Shifters

Anybody used them or know about their reliability? This is mostly for rail trail leisure rides, and she is pretty attached to gripshift. It came with gripshift and Shimano derailleurs (I think they are OK). Last time I worked on it I don't think I dared mess with the (original) chain, for fear a new drivetrain would be needed. Any advice?

mtbr member

Any advice on these?

They came stock on my Jamis. I wouldn't recommend them. Go with the mid level Shimano revo-shift.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I tried SRAMs looking for a cheap grip shift alternative as well, didn't like them at all. Very hard to shift, which didn't work out as it was on the kid's bike. Eventually wound up with revoshift (Shimano), that feel much better, though I still think a trigger would be best if only I could find a 3x5 trigger.

mtbr member

Any advice on these?

I can offer several stories of how cheap grip shifts ruined my life. I may or may not be exaggerating. It's yet to be decided.

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks all. Yeah, that price had me a bit suspect so I thought I would ask. I would pay more for better quality but 7 spd Shimano compatible stuff seems pretty hard to find. Two votes for the Revoshift sound like a better alternative. I would consider triggers, but am afraid she will not like them (being a person that occasionally rides a bike as opposed to a "bike person") and ask me to put the broken ones back on.

mtbr member

Any advice on these?

http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup....FcXm7AodNBMACg

You're getting Tourney, so it's bottom of the barrel, but I've never had a revo shift break apart in my hand in the middle of a shift. I don't know if the Tourney are "micro indexed", but it's a huge help when dealing with worn out and cheap components that can't be dialed in properly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Any advice on these?

Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup....FcXm7AodNBMACg

You're getting Tourney, so it's bottom of the barrel, but I've never had a revo shift break apart in my hand in the middle of a shift. I don't know if the Tourney are "micro indexed", but it's a huge help when dealing with worn out and cheap components that can't be dialed in properly.
    They are not micro indexed. That can be a problem, especially with poorly specced front derailleurs that don't match the chainstay angle on the bike.

For what it's worth, I've seen MRX grip shifters go several years on occasional-use bikes.

You should also be able to use 3x8 shifters without a problem, so you may have some luck finding better quality stuff.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post

You should also be able to use 3x8 shifters without a problem, so you may have some luck finding better quality stuff.
    Thanks wschruba, you were right. I got the Shimano RD compatible Sram Centera 8spd twist shifters, and they worked fine on the 7 spd, once adjusted properly. The new bars, stem, and cables look nifty too, replacing rusty stuff. Here she is going home today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any advice on these?-p1030553.jpg  

Any advice on these?-p1030555.jpg  

Any advice on these?-p1030574.jpg  

Any advice on these?-p1030554-1280x960-1280x960-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sweet cabling job there! Glad the shifter thing worked out for you.