mtbr member

mtbr member
    I try to avoid being in the zone of door contact, but know that I might ride too close at the wrong time. Since door edges can kill or seriously maim, I plan on steering for the leg that should be extending over the door jamb by the time I get there. Share the road or share the pain, I figure.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Most accidents happen so fast that much in the way of evasive maouevers are not possible....hence the accident happens.

mtbr member
    Agreed. But usual response is to dodge left. Into edge of door. An alternate plan is wise. If time allows.

BrianMc

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    We need to put a law on the books to tell people not to open their car doors into oncoming traffic? Really? We think we can legislate common sense? These people have too much time on their hands.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    We need to put a law on the books to tell people not to open their car doors into oncoming traffic? Really? We think we can legislate common sense? These people have too much time on their hands.
    I was thinking the same thing.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I'm no lawyer but it seems like more of a civil issue where the person opening their door and causing a crash would be liable for damages and injury. Just because something is not spelled out as illegal doesn't absolve someone's liability for being negligent and causing a traffic accident.