mtbr member

Another commuter tire thread

So I've searched, read, dug, thought and have only ended up more confused and undecided than when I started trying to find a good multi-use tire. The bulk of my miles are commuting by road but I'm finding more and more excuses to ride gravel fire roads and rare singletrack on my bike for variety so I'm searching for a "do-anything" type of tire. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the following:

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme or Mondial (mostly great reviews, spendy)
    Michelin City (meh reviews but I can get it at the LBS)
    Bruce Gordon Rock nRoad (reviews great for gravel/trail, meh in the road)

All have their pluses and minuses ranging from weight/cost/flat protection. Unfortunately, I can't just try one, not like it and try another...don't have the cash to ride a revolving door of tires to find the right one. I've put >5000 miles on the Conti City Rides that came with the bike and they are in serious need of replacement. Roads here range from decent to littered with crap and we have snow/ice 4 months intermittently during the winter (but I have studs for that). Looking 700x40-50 for sizing.

Opinions? Choices I may have overlooked?

mtbr member
    Have you checked out Kenda happy medium? They come in 700x40. I dont have a ton of seat time with them but ive ridden a few bikes with them and liked it.

Name:  Happy-Medium-3-300x275.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  29.2 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I find these great for everyday road use and occasional off road, fun in mud with guards evan
    Amazon.com: Kenda Kourier K-Shield Bicycle Tire, 700 x 40c: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member

Another commuter tire thread

Lots of choices. Clement makes a tire I've been looking at but I forget the name now.

Anyway, what kind of bike? Mtb? Cross? Tourer? Whatever it is I would recommend avoiding tires with susstantial shoulder knobbies, like that kenda happy medium or ritchey speed max. I find they get sketchy when leaning into turns on pavement. Look for something with a round profile. I've been using specialized houfalaize (sp?) on my crosser and it's pretty good on multi surfaces.

I'm liking the looks of the Clement X'plor tires. There's a 700x35 USH and the 700x40 MSO version. They will probably be my next warm season tires. Maybe a Conti Nordic Spike for winter depending on how much winter riding I actually do.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I like this Nashbar tire:
    Nashbar Comfort City Tire - Normal Shipping Ground
    It's cheap and has a good center ridge for the road and small block knobs for the trails. I even used it in a cyclocross race in deep mud and it did fine. Today they are listed at $14.99 but they go down to $9.99 and a lot of times you can get free shipping on Nashbar tires. At $10 each you could just try them out. I ordered a 2nd pair. They call them city tires but mine have been on country trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Spatialized View Post
    So I've searched, read, dug, thought and have only ended up more confused and undecided than when I started trying to find a good multi-use tire. The bulk of my miles are commuting by road but I'm finding more and more excuses to ride gravel fire roads and rare singletrack on my bike for variety so I'm searching for a "do-anything" type of tire. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the following:

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme or Mondial (mostly great reviews, spendy)
    Michelin City (meh reviews but I can get it at the LBS)
    Bruce Gordon Rock nRoad (reviews great for gravel/trail, meh in the road)

All have their pluses and minuses ranging from weight/cost/flat protection. Unfortunately, I can't just try one, not like it and try another...don't have the cash to ride a revolving door of tires to find the right one. I've put >5000 miles on the Conti City Rides that came with the bike and they are in serious need of replacement. Roads here range from decent to littered with crap and we have snow/ice 4 months intermittently during the winter (but I have studs for that). Looking 700x40-50 for sizing.

Opinions? Choices I may have overlooked?
    The Nashbar Gridlock city tire @ 14.99 which I have on my wife's Trek Navigator in 26x1.75 and they are made by Panaracer. the thread is thick and a nice pattern. Only thing 35 is the widest. Hope you get something soon and let us know your winner. Ride safe

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Ive been trying out the continental speed ride tires in 700x42. It rides nice and cushy, a little more work to push on the road but very nice off road.

Bill

mtbr member
    Kenda Kouriers work fairly well and have good flat protection, but suck in sand or loose dirt like that washes into pavement after heavy rain.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Tioga Bloodhound, 700x38

Amazon.com: Tioga Bloodhound Cross Wire Tire with Black Wall, 700x38C: Sports & Outdoors

Also I've really liked the Continental Country Plus in 700x42.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Ended up with the Clement X'plor 700x40 (I know, not even on the list) and with the exception of a flat on the first trip thanks a nice sized shard of metal they've been pretty good. I feel faster, which feels counter-intuitive but I'll take it. Haven't done a ton of non-pavement riding but what I have they feel good even at road pressures (running 70 rear, 60 front). I'll know more once I get more miles in.