mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Smile Alfine Hubs - Black or Silver

Hello, new to this forum.

I commute to work 30 miles a day 100 days a year up here in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. I use a 1986 Colnago Road bike, or a 2000 Trek 7500 Hybrid (slow!).

Am now building my dream commuter-purpose bike, a Steelwool custom steel frame with Alfine rear hub, Schmidt front dynohub with front/rear lights, Honjo fenders, nitto racks, etc.

My question is this, my local bike store (http://www.talltreecycles.ca/ ) cannot get a silver Alfine rear hub, only black (Shimano Canada restriction or something). I want that 'retro-raleigh' look so I want all components silver, including front Schmidt dynohub.

For you guys south of the border, can you get silver Alfine hubs? Just interested, thats all, but might be willing to trade an Alfine rear black hub for silver if brand new...

thanks
    "better people thru bikes"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Have you tried an internet retailer? The color of a hub doesn't seem like something they would enforce.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Alfine black hub

Quote Originally Posted by mullet dew
    Have you tried an internet retailer? The color of a hub doesn't seem like something they would enforce.
    Yes I guess I could do that, am trying to 'support the local bike shop', just wanted to know if Alfine hubs available in USA in general first. Has anyone bought one this year in silver? Is it anodised silver or polished alloy silver?

thanks
    Steve
    Klunker2

Frt Range, CO
    Looks like there's no silver Alfine in the US right now. As soon as Shimano North America has 'em, your LBS will be able to order them.