Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The assumption is the black stuff on the mask came from breathing in???

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    The assumption is the black stuff on the mask came from breathing in???
    and where else would it come from?

i had to roll my eyes when the "3 day biking" mask was compared to the "1 week train" mask. Well no wonder the 1 week mask is dirtier!

I have to wonder what size of particulate matter (pm) is filtered by the filters he's using. There's a good chance they're not small enough to filter out the stuff that's most dangerous to inhale. The smaller pm is inhaled more deeply than large pm, and causes more damage to the lungs.

The company that makes the filters shown in the article makes a few different ones.

TOTOBOBO mask, most advanced respiratory protection

According to the USEPA on particulate matter, Particulate Matter | Air & Radiation | US EPA
    None of those filters address fine particulate matter smaller than 2.5 micrometers, which is the most dangerous stuff because it gets inhaled more deeply.

Moderator Moderator
    Here's some real time Air Quality reports. China Air Pollution: Real-time Air Quality Index (AQI) Enter London to see the data for the area the article talked about.

The first 2 items listed, PM 10 and PM 2.5 are the different sizes of particulate matter that Nate referred to, the 2.5 being more dangerous.

Click China Air Pollution: Real-time Air Quality Index (AQI) and choose "Auto-Locate the Nearest City" to check your own Air Quality. You may want to recheck during your commute hours when there may be more exhaust.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Yeah i gotta move man

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    and where else would it come from?
    Breathing out???

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That's one of the great environmental affects cycling has. Local air pollution from vehicles is a major detriment to air quality, every car replaced by a bike is better for the air.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Breathing out???
    what INSIDE YOUR LUNGS generates that kind of gunk? the only way anything like that would be coming OUT of your lungs would be if you had already inhaled it. The mucus inside your respiratory system traps a great deal of the junk you inhale. you aren't going to be exhaling very much if anything at all.

you'll COUGH some of it out, but I wouldn't be coughing into a mask like that so the phlegm could splash back into my face or just collect inside there and drain down my neck.

mtbr member
    If you look carefully you will see a circular array of smaller fainter circles. If you look at the mask on the TOTOBOBO site, those are in the filter cap only, not the body of the mask. So the captured materials are on the outside of the filter. Note that compared to the new filter that the appears between these small circles is also slightly contaminated. If from the inside going out through the small holes the definition of these small circles would not be this great, and might not be noticeable at all.