mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Advice on a Presta gauge?

Been riding my new commuter a lot lately and I LOVE it, it's great fun and it gets me where I need to go. Unfortunately though, I need to put some more air in my tires. I can gauge it a bit by feel, but don't have much experience with how hard the tire should be.

With that said, can anyone suggest a good portable Presta gauge? I've got a pump bracketed onto my bike, so I'd like to get a small (but accurate) presta gauge I can just toss in a bag if I ever feel like touring. Problem is, everyone of them I've seen has gotten bad reviews. So, can anyone advise me on a functional, consistent gauge that doesn't come attached to a floor pump?

jrm
    mtbr member

I use a Presta 2 Schrader adapter

screws onto the outside of your presta valve stem. These let you use any gas station hose and best of all will keep you from bending or busting off the barrel of the presta valve.

Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks, but I've already got an air compressor and pump, note that I'm just looking for a gauge to use with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    He's saying that if you use the adapter ($1 or less at your LBS), you can use a standard "car" pressure gauge. Finding a presta specific gauge can be either tricky, or way overpriced.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've got a Zefal "Twin" gauge that fits both valve types. The pressure reading agrees with my Blackburn floor pump with built-in gauge. Of course, they both could be wrong... The one review on MTBR is pretty damning, but I haven't had any trouble with mine. Get it from Performance Bike so you can return it if it craps out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Are those the ones they carry at performance? Think I've seen them. Anyways, pretty sure I'm grabbing the 99 cent fitting from LBS and then getting a bracket-mount pump with a gauge for on the road. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yep, PB has them for $9.99
    However, spending only 99 cents is even better!

trail rat
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

weirdo
    I dunno- everything I`ve ever had that needed presta tubes I`ve drilled out for schraders as soon as I got it home.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    I have that same Topeak gauge in my MTB pack. I find the on/off switch is right where I normally put my thumb when I'm reading pressures.

I use Schrader adapters and a cheapo auto parts store pencil gauge for my commuter. I also have the Topeak Road Morph G pump with a built-in gauge, so I don't have to futz around with a separate gauge when fixing flats on the side of the road.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.