dirtbag

'98 Stumpjumper commuter conversion

Since I live close, I've been commuting by bike on my steel rigid with an extra wheelset shod with slicks. While it does the basic job of getting me from point A to point B, it did have some negatives. First being a steel bike, I had some qualms about riding it during the rainy season even though I've treated it with Weigle Frame Saver. It also didn't have a rack or fenders and no mounting points for either on the frame - I've been biking more and more to get around town... to bars, grocery store, etc. I wanted cargo carrying capacity as well.

My old Stumpjumper was the bike in the stable that was least ridden and was looking a bit ragged. The paint had tons of scratches and it still had the Gore Tex cables that I put on it years ago. I decided that it would become my commuter because it was aluminum and it had provisions (sorta... more on that later) for a rear rack. But it needed a makeover first, I wanted something stylish to ride into work. Here's what it looked like before:
    Amolan

dirtbag

Paint...

First decision for the remake was to decide what paint and color to use. I decided to get the frame powder coated at Maas Bros in Livermore because they come highly recommended on this board by locals. Next was the color. I always wanted a blue bike and I decided to pick out a color when I got to the painters. Maas can pretty much powdercoat any color you want. When you walk into their shop, they have two walls of aluminum beer cans painted in all the colors they have available. It's quite a sight. I picked a metallic sky blue and handed over the frame. A week and a half later I picked up a beautifully painted frame powder coated metallic sky blue with a coat of clear. Now a good base to build upon.

Here's the bike after the re-build:

While I waited for the frame, I was undecided whether to reuse the old Manitou fork or go with a new rigid. I sorta wanted to go on the cheap on this build and also wanted to test out my DIY painting skills so I repainted the old fork myself. I cleaned and sanded down the fork and hit it with a coat of Duplicolor primer. Then I sprayed it with Duplicolor metallic dark grey to compliment the frame. I think it came out pretty good.

The Stumpy only had holes in the rear drop out for a rack but no holes on the upper seatstay so finding a rack that would work was the next decision. Google works wonders and after a few clicks of the mouse I found Old Man Mountain. Their Red Rock rack utilizes the v-brake posts in lieu of the missing seatstay mount. A very nice sturdy rack with a 60 lb rating so it'll be enough to go grocery shopping or lugging home a six-pack or two. I also picked up the Planet Bike EZ fenders since the only frame mounts were being used by the rack. It was a pretty simple install and provides full coverage.

I mounted a Planet Bike Superflash to the seatpost after seeing someone else riding with one. It's a super bright LED and the flashing mode looks like a miniature emergency vehicle light.

For the front end, I swapped the bars for a carbon Race Face Next riser bar to give me a more upright riding position. The grips are a pair of Ergons with integrated bar ends. Yeah, I know that riser bars and bar ends are a bike fashion faux pas, but fashionistas be damned! I like multiple positions that bar ends provide. The Planet Bike Blaze puts out enough light for my needs when riding at night.

Last edited by ranier; 11-08-2008 at 10:56 PM.
    Amolan

A serious man.
    Looks much better...that green and red combo is tough to look at. Where did you get the replacement decals?

Great bike too, I'd love to pick up one of those sometime.

dirtbag

The rest of the front end.

The PB EZ front fender fit pretty well on the fork. The only thing I need to do is find a way to securely mount the fender to the fork arch. There are two mounting points on the backside of the fork arch that I can use. A trip to the hardware store for some aluminum stock to fab a mount is in order. I picked up a pair of Continental Traffic tires since they were on sale at Performance while I was their picking up new shifter cables. They have a semi-continuous center tread for fast rolling but still have minimal knobs on the side for light off-road excursions.

The only thing I'm missing for my commuter/grocery getter is a pair of panniers. I think I'm going to go with the Ortleib Back Rollers. Anyone have any suggestions for waterproof panniers that paper grocery bags will fit in?

Can't wait to commute on my "new" bike.
    Amolan

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by BEETROOT
    Looks much better...that green and red combo is tough to look at. Where did you get the replacement decals?

Great bike too, I'd love to pick up one of those sometime.
    Thanks. Yeah, I loved the team Dew Green but not the red colored fork. I looked like a Christmas bike. I felt like I shoulda raced in a Santa suit. I only picked up the fork because it was a killer deal from Supergo. Wished it came in another color. Now it is!

I got the decals off of ebay. Not really factory replacements but die cut vinyl decals. You can't tell from the pics but they're in a carbon fiber-look color. I didn't get the decals clear coated because I want the option to go "no-name" bike in the future.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Another rack-mounting option is a seatpost clamp that has rack mounts built into it. These can be handy

mtbr member
    Awesome build up! Out of curiosity, how much did the powder coating cost you? You dont have to be exact if you dont want to- just looking for ballpark.

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    Another rack-mounting option is a seatpost clamp that has rack mounts built into it. These can be handy

That doesn't look to bad, I'm surprised I didn't find that solution during my search.

Quote Originally Posted by Helmsdini
    Awesome build up! Out of curiosity, how much did the powder coating cost you? You dont have to be exact if you dont want to- just looking for ballpark.
    I had the frame powdercoated locally at Maas Bros in Livermore, CA. The cost was $150 for the single color (any color) with a coat of clear. Not a bad deal and they did a really great job.
    Amolan

weirdo
    Yeah, $150 sounds like a bargain- I`ve never had a frame coated or repainted but I would have guessed a lot more. They were careful not to coat the BB, headset interfaces, brake bosses, etc? Can`t see up close, but the whole bike looks pretty nice from here. Good job!

A serious man.
    Out here (Phoenix) powdercoating is super cheap. $60 for sandblast, prep and coat. Great way to get an old bike looking like new.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Very nice conversion.

My trek 4300 is looking to get the similar treatment. Right now it still has the crappy gila fork, stock tires, and saddle. Need to add some fenders and a rack and probably a rigid front fork too. The tires are the first thing I am replacing though because these bontrager tires are heavy as hell!
    [SIZE="5"]It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."[/SIZE]