mtbr member
    Oct 2012

91' Marin Eldridge Grade for Commuting **PCS**

Hello everyone Alan here,

I have posted in this forum but its been a while. During this winter I was helping out a friend clean out his garage and he had a 1991 Marin he was no longer using. So he offered to gift it to me.

At first I did not like the paint job at all (the TV show saved by the bell comes to mind when I see this paint job) Anyhow, it was free and it was pretty light weight.

So I figured I would take it home and play with it. see if I could get it back up and running. Anyhow the gear shifters were gone, tires were gone, seat was torn up, brakes worked great. The shop I took it to, says the gears, crank and derailers are fine.

Ive since then added new gear shifters and tires... before I continue to dump $$ into this bike, is it really worth it?? I have a 12 mile commute everyday and would hate to have $$200 and something buck in it and then have to buy a new bike or have to put more money into it.

Ill be taking some pictures of it today for sharing

Last edited by FlakoGT; 05-13-2013 at 08:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Do you already bikecommute now? Deciding to commute by bike is a bigger decision than picking the bike to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Usually during summer I bike commute 2 -3 times a week, just to get me ready for my hiking season. So yes, Ive done it before. I just started back on it this week and so far it feels great. Really enjoying my morning rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well what's left to dump money into? A seat? Some lights and cargo options?

Can you point to something about the bike that you think couldn't be fixed by replacing or upgrading the part?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Not that I know of, I figured id ask around here if there is any major issue common with these bikes I would need to worry about.

Ive been riding the bike for the past 4 days to work and besides blowing a tire I have not had any problems. I got some Continental town & country with new inner tubes, $108!!! Since when did bike tires go up in price so much??

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Rubber being a petroleum product, tire prices follow oil prices. Or at least that's how it was explained to me when I asked the same question last time I bought tires (for the first time in a whole lot of years).

As far as more stuff, I think lights and cargo are about all I can think of that go on the bike. Make sure you carry a pump and spare tube(s) and tire levers, and have a patch kit at home. Maybe pedals if you don't like what's there. As long as you're happy with the way it rides, there's no need to buy more stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ok finally I was able to upload some pics. Sorry for the delay.

Dorkimus Prime
    That bike is hot! Awesome commuter.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet