mtbr member

700C Winter tires- what do you use?

Im in the market for some winter commuting tires for my steamroller. Really dont want to get studs, leaning toward cyclocross tires that would be useable on trails in the summer. Just dont want to sacrifice too much traction in the winter here in WI. What do you all use or suggest, up to 38s will fit my frame? Leaning toward kenda small block 8s...

PRETENDURO
    Small Block 8s are pretty kickass in inclement conditions. Iíve ridden them through yuck and muck and sludge and goop on my SS flatbar CX bike many times. Amazing traction in offroad conditions. They also do well on the road. If you can find the 700x35 size they are probably more confidence-inspiring than the 700x32 version.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

I Ride for Donuts
    I have the SB8's on the mountain bike (29x2.0). I like them a lot. They gunk up in mud or sticky stuff, but my hunch is that they'd be great in typical snow or winter conditions. The MTB version wears pretty fast though, even with the 'dual rubber' compound. Might not get the kind of mileage you're hoping for...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I just ordered a set of Bontrager LT2 700x35 hardcase ultimate from my LBS. Its the biggest tire I can get on and still clear my fenders.
    Bontrager: LT2 700C (Model #08633)

toscano
    Now I use Continental cyclocross speed but in the past I had Continental Speed King cx, they were really better (not only) in winter.

mtbr member
    I picked up an innova 35c studded tire for the front and a specialized cx 34 tire for the rear, basically what was available at one of the local shops. Will be getting out and seeing how this set up works, with all of the recent snow in the midwest. Didnt want to wait for ordering tires

mtbr member
    This worked pretty damn well riding on compact snow and ice, the studs up front are really confidence inspiring while the back only felt squirrely a couple times on icy corners
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 700C Winter tires- what do you use?-pc220001.jpg  

700C Winter tires- what do you use?-pc220002.jpg