Thread: 650b

Ovaries on the Outside

650b

I put some Marathon Racers on my really old Rockhopper and have been really enjoying myself on the bike. I can go much faster on pavement than I was expecting and it has a tight handling characteristic that has been tons of fun. I've read proponents of 650B saying that the wheelsize has a perfect blend of 26 and 29 characteristics. I'm interested if any on the commuter forum has used a 650B as a streetbike. If they have, is the bike a conversion, a stock bike, etc. I'd be really interested to know what tires are used as well.

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My girlfriend loves her Rivendell Bleriot, which has 650b wheels. It's her main "around town" and commuting bike. She runs Nifty Swifties, I believe, which are a beefy but still pretty much slick tire. Panaracer makes several different road tires in 650b.

Frt Range, CO
    Bigger wheels are nicer on the road, best tire selection for commuting is 26", then 700C/29er. Since commuting is about the tires and saving money, keeping existing 26" wheels and buying some really nice tires is smartest/cheapest. There's not many tire choices for 650b, nothing is cheap. There are cheap pre-built 29er wheelsets (less than $250 for XT 756/Mavic/DT), I've never seen cheap 650b wheelsets. Alternatives to 26" wheels offer a few percentage points better performance at much higher price with limited tire choices. If you're commuting, not racing, what's the point?

Having said all of that, I commute on a 29er, it's better than my 26er. IMHO, 650b is the solution to a question nobody asked.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well I go with the 89er setup and it works just fine too.
    DSC00836.JPG

There are many ways to skin the cat.

You can mount any 29" tire that would be suitable for commuting on just about any 700c rim , those are MA3 Mavics on the bike in the picture as an example. That means that you can spend way less than 250 for a wheelset, including free if you play your cards right. I really think that 700c is the most efficient format for commuting personally and as the other poster said the 650b thing is just another way to spend your money.
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

Ovaries on the Outside
    Yeah, I've commuted with 700x23, 29x2.0 and now 26x1.5. I think the 29er with Big Apples was the slowest. 700x23 is the fastest over distance, but I can't hop stairs and go offroad like I can on the other two. I haven't ridden anything 650B, but it could potentially be a great compromise of the tire types.