44 Commuting miles today

Some folks here were interested in hearing when I biked my 22mi commute. Today was nice, traffic was relatively light since it was a Sunday, and I would start and finish during daylight hours. I still ran my lights all day since I wasn't sure how drivers would react around me. The ride was pretty uneventful. The big north-south segment is a MUP, the Monon Trail, and being a Sunday it was fairly busy with all sorts of folks. No major issues. I did get one honker early in my commute. I was more irritated by the fact that he swerved into my path at the stoplight than by the honking, but he thought the honking upset me more. Still, we had a fairly respectful conversation. He was on his way to church and had my safety in mind. I told him he needn't honk, that I heard him behind me, but I appreciated his concern for my safety. He was sorta defensive about the honking, so I didn't make an issue of the swerving. He was an older gentleman and by my best guess, he wasn't paying good enough attention and didn't see me until it was a little late, despite my lights and the fact that I was wearing a neon green long-sleeved jersey.

Anyway, here was my commute, both ways puts it at 44mi on the nose.

It definitely won't be a frequent thing. Some of the roads I used are kinda ugly on the weekdays. 106th St. in particular. It's sorta narrow and drivers tend to go fast there.

On-One Pompetamine

White River Flooding

White River Flooding

On-One Pompetamine

weirdo
    Thanks for the report, Nate. I think I`d be kind of wary about something called "Moron Trail", but hey- what ever works! For a second, I had to wonder if the honker swerving into your path was the type that leaves slimy green turds on the lawn and path, but it became clear in the rest of your explanation. Sounds like a weirdo to me, so I`m glad you cut him some slack (being my kin)

Since your new route is too long to do every day, do you have any options for partial bike commutes?
    Recalculating....

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Thanks for the report, Nate. I think I`d be kind of wary about something called "Moron Trail", but hey- what ever works! For a second, I had to wonder if the honker swerving into your path was the type that leaves slimy green turds on the lawn and path, but it became clear in the rest of your explanation. Sounds like a weirdo to me, so I`m glad you cut him some slack (being my kin)

Since your new route is too long to do every day, do you have any options for partial bike commutes?
    lol...MoNon Trail.

Mehhhh, partial bike routes wouldn't be so great. The best part of the route is the Monon itself and that's the part I wouldn't want to cut out. There's not a trailhead at or especially near where I got on. It was just a road crossing. The bus system here isn't very good and it doesn't go anywhere near where I work. The closest stop would prob be about 4 or 5 miles away. There are where I am, but the route that goes where I need is a "limited service" line. I don't think it'd work out to rely on it to get to work when my schedule is as erratic as it is.

mtbr member
    Nice ride. I did 22 yesterday and 25 today. I am not ready to do them with a work shift between. Yet. Attaboy.

For Rodar more on the Monon (railroad):

Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society

My son went to Depauw University in Greencastle and the old depot is a great little diner style restaurant called 'The Monon". Very Indiana.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Ah the good old Monon. I hit it up today to meet some buddies in Broadripple, I like riding it but the most direct route to it from my place is down east 30th street which is a bit sketch, not to mention there is glass everywhere on the streets.

44 Commuting miles today

Quote Originally Posted by nnorton44 View Post
    Ah the good old Monon. I hit it up today to meet some buddies in Broadripple, I like riding it but the most direct route to it from my place is down east 30th street which is a bit sketch, not to mention there is glass everywhere on the streets.
    How far east on 30th? I followed it from post until shortly after going under 465. After that I skipped up to 34th. Traffic there wasn't bad though the road had a bit to be desired. Not a fan of part time parking lanes, either. Passed a few parks along the way.

mtbr member
    Not far really but directly through one of the nation's "most dangerous neighborhoods".

RTV6 - Report: Indianapolis has 2 of nation's most dangerous neighborhoods - Local Story

44 Commuting miles today

Quote Originally Posted by nnorton44 View Post
    Not far really but directly through one of the nation's "most dangerous neighborhoods".

RTV6 - Report: Indianapolis has 2 of nation's most dangerous neighborhoods - Local Story
    One of the areas I ride through is no picnic, either

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local.../project-46218