mtbr member
    I wish articles/studies like this would report the same information for drivers who kill pedestrians or other drivers. I have a feeling that it's too easy to kill anyone with a car, but would like to know if cyclist deaths are disproportionately ignored.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I wish articles/studies like this would report the same information for drivers who kill pedestrians or other drivers. I have a feeling that it's too easy to kill anyone with a car, but would like to know if cyclist deaths are disproportionately ignored.
    And whether the motorist was actually at fault. In one case in that report it stated that an HGV (semi truck) was waiting to turn left (bear in mind this is in England) and had his turn signal on, the cyclist cycled along the inside of the truck, and was hit while it was turning. Cases like that can very well be the cyclist that played a large part in the incident, so reporting that the driver had not been jailed (implying that they should have been) can be misleading.

mtbr member
    ^ good point. Around here pedestrians do something bad about 30% of the time, and cyclists about 45% of the time.

Moderator Moderator
    Those additional figures would be interesting, Newf and Outlore.

Still, it seems a fair guess that motorists were at fault more than 10% of the time (4 of 40). Also, I don't know if comparing cyclist death justice to pedestrian or motorist death justice would be wholly enlightening; it may be that all 3 are taken too lightly.

mtbr member
    But if you think about that San Francisco cyclist who killed a pedestrian, he got probation and community service. I'm not an expert, but I got the impression that that was a fairly typical sentence for a pedestrian death.

So I think a comparisons to pedestrians is important. If society has decided that killing a pedestrian typically won't lead to jail time, then I don't think we can be all that appalled if killing a cyclist is penalized in roughly the same way.