Moderator Moderator

MTB B'dos
    Sorry, but I have to say that that cyclists was trying to bait someone into passing him close, he wasn't even anywhere near in the provided bike lane and the bike lane was not blocked to make him not ride in it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Sorry, but I have to say that that cyclists was trying to bait someone into passing him close, he wasn't even anywhere near in the provided bike lane and the bike lane was not blocked to make him not ride in it.
    The bike lane was in the door zone. I wouldn't ride in it either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by danny31292 View Post
    The bike line was in the door zone. I wouldn't ride in it either.
    I agree with LyNx, the cyclist was deliberately trolling. He was all over the road and intentionally interfering with traffic. He says "I'm allowed to be anywhere in the road for my safety" which, in addition to being false, apparently means to him as much as 5 feet to the left of a dedicated bike lane on an otherwise one lane road while weaving erratically. What we don't see is what occurred before the incident which, more than likely, is the cyclist intentionally interfering with traffic for a good deal of time. Finally, he's an incredibly duplicitous drama queen. His behavior is shameful.

As for the bike lane being in the "door zone", some people have an amazing sense of entitlement. Your desire to not be burdened with your own safety doesn't entitle you to interfere with the use of the road for other vehicles. The road is to be shared, it is not dedicated to your use.

since 4/10/2009
    yeah, I wouldn't be in the door zone, either.

bus drivers are the worst, IME. I've had a few too many close calls with them passing as close as possible without making a FULL PASS.

a local commuter was killed by one last year. by all accounts, the rider was IN the bike lane (not a door zone bike lane, either), passing through an intersection, and the bus driver drove up next to him and then right hooked him. no charges, of course. not even a traffic citation.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    I agree with LyNx, the cyclist was deliberately trolling. He was all over the road and intentionally interfering with traffic. He says "I'm allowed to be anywhere in the road for my safety" which, in addition to being false, apparently means to him as much as 5 feet to the left of a dedicated bike lane on an otherwise one lane road while weaving erratically. What we don't see is what occurred before the incident which, more than likely, is the cyclist intentionally interfering with traffic for a good deal of time. Finally, he's an incredibly duplicitous drama queen. His behavior is shameful.

As for the bike lane being in the "door zone", some people have an amazing sense of entitlement. Your desire to not be burdened with your own safety doesn't entitle you to interfere with the use of the road for other vehicles. The road is to be shared, it is not dedicated to your use.
    you're serious, aren't you? the law DOES allow for cyclists to take the whole lane and leaves things pretty open for the CYCLIST'S interpretation regarding what is safe. the door zone is NOT the safest place to be. there are lots of door zone bike lanes around. that one had a lot of parked cars in it, so it's more difficult to watch for drivers exiting their cars. in door zone bike lanes with more sparsely parked cars, I'll be more likely to ride in the bike lane because I can scan each car thoroughly as I approach. But I'll still be in the FAR LEFT of the bike lane when I pass each car, just in case. Still puts the onus on car drivers to give 3 feet when passing. The bike lane does not exempt them from that.

fact is, that being doored is a deadly risk for cyclists. It's not something to take lightly. inconveniencing drivers ranks FAR lower on my scale of priorities than, you know, staying ALIVE.

He got a little hot and bothered, which is something I'm personally trying to do better about, but when a bus mirror comes dangerously close to clipping your shoulder, I'm sure the adrenaline starts pumping and puts you into fight or flight mode whether you like it or not.

And really, for practicality and logical purposes, the driver of the bigger, faster vehicle has more RESPONSIBILITY to operate it safely to protect more vulnerable users. Whether the law recognizes that fact or not doesn't change it. Thankfully, there's an increasing push for this recognition to be codified. When a pedestrian is hit by a cyclist, the first question should be whether the cyclist was operating their bicycle safely. When a cyclist is hit by a car, the first question should be whether the car driver was operating their vehicle safely. Rule #1 is to give other road users space.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Working the safe cycling booth at today's Earth Day celebration and we advocate riding 4-5' from the curb to keep motorists from trying to squeeze by. Based on the recommendation of various safety experts. I'm not the expert, but I have been forced off the road numerous times when riding the curb, I've been "doored" and I when into the bed of a truck once because a guy tried to squeeze through.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Correct me if I'm wrong but most laws are written that the cyclist has to be as far right as they think is safe, and can move out as far as to take the whole lane to avoid road hazards such as parked cars.

I didn't watch the video so I can't comment on this riders practice but personally I will ride far enough away from parked cars to avoid a door. That's usually 3 feet or more. If a bike lane is in this area it was poorly placed and someone should contact city works about it. I have done that multiple times and have usually seen changes made to make the roads better for everybody.

One of the best things about having bad interactions with by a bus driver is that they can easily be identified buy bus number, route, and time of day. Most transit companies have a complaint line or form on their website. I have semi-regular issues with busses and always make the effort to fill out the complaint form (I like the form better because it is sure to be recorded and sent to the right people), and usually get a call from the bus company (I'm actually on a first name basis with the two people who seem to call). Just be honest about your problems, stay calm, and you should see change. If not, simply get a cheap helmet camera and take your case to the proper authorities.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Huh? Your desire to be safe is actually a right (in law) and your presence on the roadway in front of approaching vehicles creates your right-of-way because you were there first. The right to use the road and ensure your safety is equally shared by all individuals on the road, it's not biased by the mass or girth of your vehicle.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    ^ That put's the finger on what bothered me about Craig's post. We all share the road. It is an entitlement of all road users not to be passed unsafely. We must avoid the accident if at all possible. The overtaker needs to use due caution regardless of what the other road user is doing. It may be rude as a cyclist to make that more difficult when it is not necessary, but that is not in the same league with endangering by passing too close as if shepherding a cyclist where you think they should be or colliding with the cyclist. Even if the cyclist was not legal (he was), it is not for the passing motorist to enforce the law as he sees it. That crosses the line.