mtbr member
    Jun 2013

3.1 mile commute

I have only a 3.1 mile county road commute but still get sweaty even with temps below 50 degrees. Have a shower at work, will have to start using it.. Hate the ride home when it's over 75 degrees then I sweat profusely.

3.1 mile commute

Pretty much nailed it. Except i had a commute like that in Texas and didn't get too bothered until it was above 85. Still sweated in the 50's though

mtbr member
    Similar for me. 5.5 mile back roads with one solid climb in the middle

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a 6.4 miles commute and if I take a shower before I leave home I notice I dont smell at work. I just put on clean clothes when I get there.

On my way back Ive been having to deal with 95 - 99 degree temperature and by then i do smell like a dog when I get home.

Just yesterday my wife asked me, when was the last time you washed your backpack. It smells funny....... Lol

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cactus1 View Post
    I have only a 3.1 mile county road commute but still get sweaty even with temps below 50 degrees. Have a shower at work, will have to start using it.. Hate the ride home when it's over 75 degrees then I sweat profusely.
    At 3.1 miles you will sooner or later be looking for a longer ride to work.

Keep riding and sweating it all will get better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yep, 3.1 is barely a warm up in cool weather for me. Most of the time the traffic is light on the country roads I ride on so a much longer ride would be advisable for a good healthy workout. My ride to work has a couple of decent hills which makes the ride more effective for better cardio health. When I lived in Phoenix for 12 years I biked on the flat canal bikeways and it was much more difficult to get a good workout. Here in the Spokane areas there are several trails dirt and paved that have plenty hills for a real genuine workout.

mtbr member
    I do 9 miles in central Texas. If my job didn't have a shower I wouldn't bother. On the way home when the temps get super high it's a good thing I'm going straight home.

mtbr member

Re: 3.1 mile commute

24 miles round trip on the road bike... Made friends with the gym teacher so I can use the shower in his office.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

Human Test Subject
    I do 4 miles, but I work in a jail so even if I sweat and crap my pants I'll still smell better than my clients.

Wasting time
    I hear you, I can ride a mile down the road on a single track to the local store, ill be sweating like I've been riding for miles more.
    2012 Diamondback Recoil

-I keep finding more bikes I "need"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I work in the ground floor of an Air Traffic Control tower where security is tight and back packs are forbidden, making it difficult to bring a change of clothes, unless I leave the clothes outside in a backpack away from the building. If the clothes were in a motorcycle hard or soft attached bags there would be no problem and clothes put in a Panier on a bike would be acceptable but a back pack or any unattended bag is immediately reported to security. There is one shower in the mens room that is rarely used. Security is so tight that we can't even lock our small lockers.
    They're making it had to continue bicycling...gee whiz all I want to do is save on gas! like a good American should..