mtbr member
    Mar 2009

26" tire for pavement and gravel that's dirt cheap...

Yes, the pun was intended.

My wife and I are headed to Acadia National Park next month for 5 days. She has a road bike and a HT. I've heard there's a lot of dirt and gravel roads so I want to get some tires for her HT that will be good for all surfaces. These won't be used much at all, so I don't want to spend a lot. Watcha got for me?

Thanks!
    For Sale:
    -Pearl Izumi Barrier rain pants, new, mens medium: $75 shipped
    -Shimano triple crankset/isis BB $50 - PM me

mtbr member
    Bedwards was showing off his $10 tires from bikenashbar on our ride, but I don't recall the model name. Maybe browse over there if he doesn't chime in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Bedwards was showing off his $10 tires from bikenashbar on our ride, but I don't recall the model name. Maybe browse over there if he doesn't chime in.
    Unfortunately it doesn't look like he mentioned them in the thread, just read through the whole thing and searched the page for "Nashbar" and "tire" with no hits. I do see some good cheap options on nashbar.com though. Thanks!
    For Sale:

weirdo
    Oooh, Acadia- just came back from there! It was pretty cool. If you`re talking about the carriage roads within the park, you`ll be fine on any 26 x 1.5s. I`m sure there are other dirt/gravel roads in the vicinity, but I didn`t get off pavement except the carriage roads, so wouldn`t know what they`re all about. Take a camera and enjoy

EDIT: We had low traffic on those carriage roads early on, even on the popluar Eagle Lake and Jordan Pond loops, then it started getting crowded by late morning. When we cut over towards the west side of the island we left most of the crowds behind. Probably nice in the late afternoon also, but we had to return our rental bike.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Continental Town and Country. shop where I recently worked sold them for $30 each. not super cheap, but a great value.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the recommendations!
    For Sale:

mtbr member

Re: 26" tire for pavement and gravel that's dirt cheap...

I really like these, allow the occasional offroad diversion but roll very fast. http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...-inch-mtb-tire

Not sure they're made anymore, might stock up.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    I really like these, allow the occasional offroad diversion but roll very fast. Kenda K905 K-Rad 26 Inch MTB Tire at BikeTiresDirect

Not sure they're made anymore, might stock up.
    Out of stock, thanks for the suggestion though, they look nice.
    For Sale:

mtbr member
    I've been considering such tires and narrowed it down to:

Michelin Country Rock Tire - 26 x 1.75 at REI.com $28.00 ea

Kenda 26X1.75 Kross Plus Bw K847, 40-65 Psi $14.18 ea

WTB All Terrain 26 x 1.95 Comp Tire Steel Bead $28.75 ea

I have Conti SportContact 26x1.6s on my rigid MTB townie and find them to be just a bit too bouncy on even packed trails. FWIW, I run them at 44/55 psi and weigh 160 lbs.

To get a little more off-road cushion, I think a 1.75 - 2.00" width would allow for lower pressure, provide more off-road cush and still be swift on pavement--with the right tread pattern.
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Another big vote for the Kenda Kross Plus tires. I'm running a set on a Giant hard-tail that I have set up specifically for rural road riding which includes very loose gravel roads, packed dirt, rough pavement, and asphalt. I have no doubt they would even perform on a firm single-track surface as the side tread is quite substantial and grippy when on it's side. I LOVE these things for this purpose. I've already put a couple hundred miles on them in the last few weeks. Highly recommend them and they're dirt cheap compared to other models. Mine are the 26 x 1.95 steel bead and I paid $18 ea. They'll probably last a lifetime.

Kenda Kross Plus Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I couldn't pass up the $10 each Nashbar tires. Got them today, they seem great for the price. The tread looks similar to the Schwalbe Marathons. They are very heavy though, 780g each. Can't have it all though.

26" tire for pavement and gravel that's dirt cheap...-tires1.jpg26" tire for pavement and gravel that's dirt cheap...-tires2.jpg
    For Sale:

mtbr member
    Cool. Let us know how they ride.

For those still looking, I just noticed a half price deal on the Town & Country's:

Continental Town and Country MTB Tire - Bicycle Tires $14.99
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Oh, me? Those were 700C. I bought a second pair of them recently. Only 500g for the 35C width. I got about 1200 miles out of the rear which could go more but is getting slower because of the increased contact patch. The front still looks pretty new at 1200 miles.
    Nashbar Comfort City Tire - Normal Shipping Ground