mk9
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

26" tire light wide or heavy skinny

I'm looking at getting new tires for my commuter. Since Avocet does not have their
    26-1\4 tires I'm looking elsewhere.
    The two that I've found are the Specialized 1.5 armadillo Nimbus and the Schwalbe 1.35 Marathon Plus.
    The Specialized is wider but and weighs 700g and the Schwalbe is narrower and weighs 830g.
    The first questions is: Is this so little it won't really matter
    Second: which would give me less rolling resistance?
    Third: Am I over looking another tire.
    My preference is a 26" X 1.25, lightwieght, puncture protected tire.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    1) thats about the weight of an smartphone. should make 0 difference for commuting.

2)the armadillo but not by anything you'd likely notice. the other side is which one will last longer. which i cant answer.

3) theres a good chunk of slicks for 26". i run the Continental Sport Contact in 1.6 i have no complaints but i'll probably go with something with a little more tread next time
    (mental thing). if your trying for absolutely the least rubber on the ground then the conti Gatorskins at 1-1/8 might be worth a try. schwalbe has the marathons in 26x1.25 but the seem to be on backorder.

mk9
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Slozomby View Post
    1) thats about the weight of an smartphone. should make 0 difference for commuting.

2)the armadillo but not by anything you'd likely notice. the other side is which one will last longer. which i cant answer.

3) theres a good chunk of slicks for 26". i run the Continental Sport Contact in 1.6 i have no complaints but i'll probably go with something with a little more tread next time
    (mental thing). if your trying for absolutely the least rubber on the ground then the conti Gatorskins at 1-1/8 might be worth a try. schwalbe has the marathons in 26x1.25 but the seem to be on backorder.
    I saw the 2 skinnies you mention. 1-1\4 is about a narrow as want to go. The roads aren't the smoothest. I can imagine how shook up I'd be by the time i got to work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mk9 View Post
    I saw the 2 skinnies you mention. 1-1\4 is about a narrow as want to go. The roads aren't the smoothest. I can imagine how shook up I'd be by the time i got to work.
    thats why i run big apples on my 29er. not exactly fastest tires out there but im not really racing to get to work each morning.

the marathon plus would be my choice of those 2 you listed. a little tread makes me happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Personally I run 700x42 tires on my rigid commuter. This is about 1.6 inch and I find it to be fairly forgiving as long as I keep the pressure around 40-45 PSI. The difference in rolling resistance is likely minimal considering we're only talking about 3mm here.

The rotational inertia due to the additional weight will definitely be more noticeable. The wheel (de)accelerates slower because the wheel carries more energy.

The tire goes on the wheel. A difference of 100g is definitely noticeable.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't think it matters much with commuting. It's not like I'm going to win a town line sprint on my way to school. I usually just stick whatever tire I can cadge off my friends who are more precious than me about their commute bikes on mine.

Wider tires are supposed to give a bit less rolling resistance. See Schwalbe's studies. And read some reviews of the Marathon. Supposed to wear like iron and roll like ass. I thought the Armadillo I had on my last commuter was fine. It did outlast the bike... Since I'm fond of Continental, I'd be quite tempted by the GatorSkin mentioned above.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Continental Bicycle -SportContact

350 grams 559 x 32

26 x 1.3

That much weight makes a difference...and they last a very long time.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post

Wider tires are supposed to give a bit less rolling resistance. See Schwalbe's studies.
    Not on Asphalt and not at speed.

One Colorful Rider
    A How Far is your commute?
    What is your Commute Layout? (e.g. All Street or paths.)

I think Small 26 tires are
    A. Stupid looking on a mountain bike.
    B. have a terrible ride
    add the last one
    C. Smaller tire are super small diameter means you go slower and pedal more.

Go Fat or Go Home
    Fat Tire Day 03

ride the moment
    Those are some heavy tires. I've got two sets of Forte Metro-K's on different commuters (26in and 700c). They weigh half that and roll just fine at 90 psi. They're kevlar lined and I've never had a puncture flat, but I have pinch flatted when I let the pressure get low. They are almost always on sale at performance bike.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Try geax street runners, a skinny 1.5

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    "A difference of 100g is definitely noticeable." "That much weight makes a difference"

yall's definition of commuting and mine must be different. 100g per tire is not going to prevent me from getting back and forth to work. nor does it bother me if it takes an extra minute to get there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    "A difference of 100g is definitely noticeable." "That much weight makes a difference"

yall's definition of commuting and mine must be different. 100g per tire is not going to prevent me from getting back and forth to work. nor does it bother me if it takes an extra minute to get there.
    Unless I am reading it wrong

He is looking at 850g x2 versus 350g x2 1700-700 that is 1 kilo....

I guess it doesn't matter if you ride the flats...but that can start to hurt going up a nice hill.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Unless I am reading it wrong

He is looking at 850g x2 versus 350g x2 1700-700 that is 1 kilo....

I guess it doesn't matter if you ride the flats...but that can start to hurt going up a nice hill.
    "The Specialized is wider but and weighs 700g and the Schwalbe is narrower and weighs 830g. "

260g of total difference.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    "The Specialized is wider but and weighs 700g and the Schwalbe is narrower and weighs 830g. "

260g of total difference.
    Conti sport contact 350 grams.....26 x 1.3

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Conti sport contact 350 grams.....26 x 1.3
    my bad, i was stuck on the original comparison. yes shaving a kg off the tires will make a difference.

mk9
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ...no longer an issue. my bike got stolen today.

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by mk9 View Post
    ...no longer an issue. my bike got stolen today.
    That is a major bummer.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

weirdo
    Doh that bites!
    Well, at least you have some ideas for when you go to replace the tires on your next bike. Poor consolation, I know.

One Colorful Rider
    Never answered the question.

How far is your commute that you need skinny tires

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Who said it woul?

My guess is that you're not stopping every 300 ft either meaning you do not have to spin up that extra 100g every 20 or 30 seconds. Extra 100g on the wheels is far more noticeable than adding additional 100g on anything that doesn't spin.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think I probably would notice 100g if it was added or subtracted to my commuter's wheels and I rode it with the different tires back-to-back. If I didn't do back-to-back, since I usually have some crap with me anyway, I don't know if I'd notice, or maybe I'd think something was off, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

There's a difference between something being noticeable and something mattering, however.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx