mtbr member
    Aug 2008

20km commute - no shower

Hi there fellow commuters,

I'm starting a new job in a week and my new workplace has no shower. It's a slightly longer than 20km each way commute, and I was wondering how you guys managed the BO situation without showering. I don't want to p*** my new employers off too much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Wash up in the bathroom or your office with a cloth or baby wipes, slap on some deodorant, a fresh pair of clothes and you're good to go. Maybe don't ride so fast?

nerfherder
    Baby wipes work amazingly well for me. I actually feel pretty clean after offroad rides. Costco!

mtbr member
    I agree. None of the places I commute to offer showers, but I carry baby wipes, towels washrags and extra clothes. A simple birdbath in the sink, new supply of deodorant and clothes will do the trick. In the military I survived on birdbaths like that for months at a time.

I Ride for Donuts
    Showering at home in the morning makes a huge difference too...showering at night leaves me nastier after a ride in the morning than showering 5 minutes before I get on the bike.

x11tybillion on the baby wipes also...I keep a stash, along with deodorant, in a cupboard in the bathroom at work. I don't keep a towel at work, I use the recycled brown paper towels that come out of the dispenser.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    also read of people saying to leave plenty early so you don't need to push yourself on the way to work... then hammerfest home
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How about joing a gym near work.
    Thats what I have done.
    I cant imagine rolling into work without a little shower down time.
    But I do travel into disaster zones every now and again and baby wipes rule.

No-Brakes Cougar
    You could also try dressing lighter. You might start off a little chilly, but your body will warm up as you ride. Also, as others have mentioned you could just take it easy. Leave earlier in the morning if you have to.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mathlete
    Nov 2007
    +1 more on the baby wipes thing and the sink / homeless guy shower. Another thing I may add, it to allow about 10 min to cool down before starting to wipe yourself down. Your body temps to come down and for you to cool off slightly. A wipe down and sponge wash does not help to much if you keep on sweating afterwards too.

banned
    Leave early, don't be afraid to wash in a bathroom sink, and if you can, leave clothes at the office.

In the rear with the beer
    Baby wipes, or other equivalents. I've actually been using some "incontinence" wipes I accidently picked up....actually work really well...clean, deordorize, and ready for heavy duty work. I live in Phoenix, so most of the year, not sweating is definitely not an option, but so far, the wipes, some deodorant work well. I also keep my hair really short so I dont have to deal with any helmet head.....no one has complained yet....except once when I left my chamois sitting on a chair....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Got A Lust for Life...
    http://www.norinse.com/

There you go...worked for me this summer with a 23mile commute one way. Brilliant!
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Yet another vote for the baby wipes. When I was commuting to work last year (have recently moved and not been able to bike commute), I would take it a bit easier on the ride to work, carry baby wipes, deodorant, a travel size Gold Bond powder (helps feet dry out nicely and keeps shoes from stinking), and a second pair of socks in addition to the clothes I'd wear to work. Worked like a charm...never had one complaint! (And, trust me, if I was stinky, I had co-workers that would let me know).

In the rear with the beer
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    http://www.norinse.com/

There you go...worked for me this summer with a 23mile commute one way. Brilliant!
    I"ve used those wipes before, they work great. Baby wipes are cheaper though..and pretty much as effective. You need to use multiple baby wipes, but still cheaper in total....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the tips guys. To summarise:

-Keep a change of clothes at the office or carry with
    -Birdbath in the sink
    -Apply baby wipes and sprinkle liberally with deodorant

As to riding slower . . . well I'm not much good at trackstands, so I reckon I'd probably fall over if I rode much slower than I do