mtbr member

2014 Specialized AWOL fender recommendations?

Hey guys, I had some money that was burning a hole in my pocket for the last few weeks, and I splurged and put a Specialized AWOL on order at the shop. Since i have a past in MTB racing, I have plenty of 2.2 MTB knobbies and 28c- 38c tires from my Trek Crossrip. I LOVE the fact that I can use all of these on the awol!! But that is where the problem lies.. If im going to be utilizing all of these tires, i need a set of fenders that is going to cover my big MTB tires and my skinny road and cyclocross tires. I was looking at the Planet Bike 29er Cascadia fenders, or their cheap commuter fenders. Any recommendations??
    Thanks guys,
    Chris
    14 years, 6 bikes, 1 ambulance ride, 12 medals, 4 ribbons, 2 trophies, and some cool scars = BIKING ADDICTION!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    SKS Chromoplastics. Nice durable fenders with the breakaway mount. Since bikes like this will be off the beaten path, your likelihood for catching a stick in the fenders is higher, so get something with the breakaway mounting point!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Ok, what size will work with a 2.2" tire?
    14 years, 6 bikes, 1 ambulance ride, 12 medals, 4 ribbons, 2 trophies, and some cool scars = BIKING ADDICTION!!!!

SKS Germany

I think the Chromoplastics might be a bit tight for tires that big. The SKS Bluemels is probably a better option.

SKS Germany

blet drive
    Look at the civia fenders they are dope
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    SKS Chromoplastics. Nice durable fenders with the breakaway mount. Since bikes like this will be off the beaten path, your likelihood for catching a stick in the fenders is higher, so get something with the breakaway mounting point!
    The new Planet Bike Cascadias have pretty much the same mounting system.

Fenders Cascadia ATB Black

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sc10pc View Post
    Ok, what size will work with a 2.2" tire?
    Did you decide on a set of fenders? I just got myself an AWOL and am also trying to decide on a set of fenders.

One note, while the AWOL can accommodate a 2.2" tire, I think the maximum tire size WITH fenders is much smaller. Not sure what the limit would be, maybe not much larger then the stock 42s.

I have been thinking about a set of SKS P50s or maybe the longboards. ONe thing I am note sure is if there is an issue with the wider fender if I put narrower tires on the bike. Maybe it would just be an aesthetic thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mstraus View Post
    Did you decide on a set of fenders? I just got myself an AWOL and am also trying to decide on a set of fenders.

One note, while the AWOL can accommodate a 2.2" tire, I think the maximum tire size WITH fenders is much smaller. Not sure what the limit would be, maybe not much larger then the stock 42s.

I have been thinking about a set of SKS P50s or maybe the longboards. ONe thing I am note sure is if there is an issue with the wider fender if I put narrower tires on the bike. Maybe it would just be an aesthetic thing.
    Sorry on the late reply, but i actually didn't end up getting the Awol. I decided to cancel the order on my bike after the shop told me they wouldn't be able to get me it until the end of April, and knowing that i had to get shoulder surgery on the 24th of this month and wouldn't be able to ride for 6 weeks i cancelled sadly as i figured i could use the money for other things.. However with that said i did talk to someone from specialized and he recommended the sks p45s in either longboard or standard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Man! The guy at my shop told me I should hold off on buying my secteur disc. He said he had a feeling spesh was about to come out with something that more fit my needs. I must say, that is a kickass bike. I have serious envy!

mtbr member
    Yes it is! I think i might end up getting it when it becomes more popular and their is some help for it out there! i thought that the fact that you could put up to 2.2 inch tires on it down to like 35c was just friggin cool!