mtbr member
    Feb 2013

1st official commute!!! YEA!!!

I performed my first official commute yesterday and it was great!!!! I thought it was going to be cold in the morning, 0430 hours, but it was perfect. The air was cool while riding, but it made it nice because I was sweating hard when I had to stop for lights. There were fewer cars so I did not have any issues with drivers. The only issue I had was with myself....as I was getting close to work, it seemed like I was slowing down. My rear-end was talking to me and my legs were not tired but they just seemed to not pump as fast. But once I arrived at work at showered, I was seriously awake.

As the day ended and it was time to go home, I thought about riding the same route home, but I figured I needed to build up the body first. Therefore, I took the train halfway and rode home from there....thank goodness for public transportation!!!! While riding home, I came across and cycling commuter wearing jeans and boots and this dude was fast. I could not catch him at any point during the stretch of pavement we were riding together, but during that stretch I discovered he was a jerk to drivers. We all know drivers don't look for us and cannot see, but if you have have no lights, like this guy, they really cannot see you. So when an older lady approached the corner to make a right turn, he started yelling at her when her car came out too far. It was not cool at all, and when another cycling commuter came up behind me and made a comment, he said the guy was a jerk. The funny part about that portion of my ride was that the second rider was also wearing jeans and shoes and I could not catch him either......however, there was a guy running and I caught up to him, so I felt a little better.

Overall, the lights were good, just had to keep it on the low setting, the ride itself was flat, and when I arrived home, my wife was glad I used my bike because I bugged her about it for six months before I got it.

I do have a question for other commuters....when you started commuting, did you have sore abs at the end of the day? It feels like I been doing crunches and sit-ups or is that normal or am I riding in a bad position or am I just getting old???

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Cycling works the core, soldier. It's the core that keeps you upright on the bike. The legs propel you forward. Don't worry.....it doesn't get easier - you'll get faster!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

weirdo
    Way to go, Tan&Green! Nice story. Yeah, public trans options could be a real bonus.

Sore abs? Never that, but sore many other parts. Just guessing, maybe your bike is a little bit long? And out of curiosity, wehre are you riding?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Nice going! Maybe some jeans and boots will make us faster.

mtbr member

Don't be too hard on yourself. When I first started my 6.25 mile one way commute, it would take me an hour one way. I can now knock it out in just over 30 minutes without working too hard.

As for the working of the core, it definitely happens. Also, many of your arm or wrist problems will come from you relying on them too much rather than your core to keep you upright.

Remember: if it ain't hard, it ain't fun.

Tradere Scriptura Magister

Great job. gotta start somewhere with the fitness. My commute is over 20mi one way, with very few public transit options when I began. More now (two bus stops in my front yard). I couldn't just do that bike commute cold turkey. I had to build fitness elsewhere first, and then do the big 44mi RT commute.

mtbr member
    Yes. There will be complaints from body parts. I wonder about reach and or the tip of the saddle. You might tense to hold the torso more upright if the crotch has too much pressure or you keep sliding forward onto the nose of the saddle. Also nothing makes us so unfit as sitting a a computer all day. My first return to riding after a lapse even with the boring stationary bike practice was 3.5 miles that felt nearly lethal. Congrats are in order/ It gets better from here.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Congrats, yes you will get in better shape and feel better. My commute is officially 12 miles, but on nicer days I can ride upward of 65 miles on my commuting bike. Some times you just dint want the ride to end.

Bill

mtbr member

Shoot, I know that's right. When I first started, it was hard enough to just make it home. Now, Friday evenings are my "free days", where I'll make my commute home 25-30 miles more. Check out the beach, go through some mangroves, check out some farms. All the fun stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Way to go, Tan&Green! Nice story. Yeah, public trans options could be a real bonus.

Sore abs? Never that, but sore many other parts. Just guessing, maybe your bike is a little bit long? And out of curiosity, wehre are you riding?
    Hey Rodar....I am in Los Angeles County....the distance is just under 13 miles one way and 7 miles when I take the train....for the most part a flat city commute....

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Don't be too hard on yourself. When I first started my 6.25 mile one way commute, it would take me an hour one way. I can now knock it out in just over 30 minutes without working too hard.

As for the working of the core, it definitely happens. Also, many of your arm or wrist problems will come from you relying on them too much rather than your core to keep you upright.

Remember: if it ain't hard, it ain't fun.

My biceps were sore too, but I could not admit that until you brought it up....

Natural Born Killer
    Good job,Tan&Green! Just keep going now, momentum is your friend in so many ways when riding a bike. Starting from a dead stop is always the hardest, literally and figuratively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller