mtbr member
    Mar 2008

1st accident ...

..been commuting on my 29er for just this summer. On my commute in this morning I cut through school fields on a paved path. My neighbor was getting ready to throw a ball to her 80lb lab (yep, which would have crossed my path). The dog bolted top speed in anticipation and run right into my front wheel, really bent the hell out of it. I have Big Apples on it so that definitely cushioned his collision. I ended gong a** over teacups and fortunately didn't stiffen up before landing. Just a couple of minor scratches and sore ankle (and yeah the dog was fine).

I consider myself very fortunate, a little more sober, & now dully initiated for daily commuting.
    Last edited by churchie; 08-20-2008 at 07:16 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by churchie
    ..been commuting on my 29er for just this summer. On my commute in this morning I cut through school fields on a paved path. My neighbor was getting ready to throw a ball to her 80lb lab (yep, which would have crossed my path). The dog bolted top speed in anticipation and run right into my front wheel, really bent the hell out of it. I have Big Apples on it so that definitely cushioned his collision. I ended gong a** over teacups and fortunately didn't stiffen up before landing. Just a couple of minor scratches and sore ankle (and yeah the dog was fine).

I consider myself very fortunate, a little more sober, & now dully initiated for daily commuting.
    I thought u have an encounter with vehicle on road.. But by the way, stay safe!

LCI #1853
    I've been there myself... Four summers ago I hit the biggest derned German shepherd dog I've ever seen. For a couple of months this dude had been walking his dog off-leash ina section of the city park where the major north-south bike path runs through, and on the way back from work late one after noon as I came through with a group of friends, the dog was sitting on the right side of the trail while his master was on the far side of the main road, fiddling with something in the ditch. Right as I rolled by, the dog jumped up to run over to his master. I hit him square in the butt, went over the handlebars, and made a rolling stop in a blackberry thicket. No damage to the dog or bike, and only a few scratches on me.