mtbr member
    Apr 2011

1998 Giant ATX 860: + rigid carbon fork?

Mods please move to correct forum.

I've had this bike since new. A year ago I moved back to the city and now ride only on the roads, paths etc.
    Replaced the mtb wheels/tyres with 26x1.5" Armadillos, which do me just fine.

I've been looking at getting a new commuter bike, but have decided to keep my old bike for a while longer, as I've just spent a bit of money on major servicing.

Am wanting to finally get around to replacing the original suspension forks, with a rigid carbon fork. As I will be sticking to the 26x1.5 tyres, does anyone know if this can be done? if keeping the same front brake setup.

I've read about terms such as "suspension corrected", also.

Was wondering if anyone has done similar to their mtb, and could recommend a carbon fork to suit/fit this tyre.

thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just put a carbon fork on a mid 90s ATX 760, replacing the worn out Rockshox Quadra that was on the bike. I bought the Nashbar carbon MTB fork. Axle to crown length is a few mm shorter, but nothing significant that I have noticed while riding. Handling is a little quicker, which may be due to the shorter fork or just lightening up the front end. If your bike has canti brakes, you'll need a headset mount cable hanger, or something similar. I swtched to a v-brake in the rear and mounted a disc up fron. This required changing the brake levers, but I had a set of v-brake/shift levers so it wasn't an issue for me. I think you would have dificulty finding a threaded carbon fork with cable hangers for canti brakes. The other issue I had was switching from the threaded fork to threadless. I had to leave the steerer tube a little longer than I would have liked to keep bar height consistent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the reply!
    Been hoping someone would, as I'm pretty much a noob to replacing forks/bike mechanics.

Here's the details I found for the current bike fork:-
    - Answer Manitou Spyder (1998)
    - Headset: 1 1/8" threadless Tioga TG
    - fork crown: triple clamp
    - fork offset/rake: 1.6" = 40.6mm

Head tube angle on bike is 71.3 deg.

I've got V-brakes on the bike front/rear, so shouldn't be a problem there, looking at the fork pic on their website.

I was wondering if you knew just what the axle to crown length is on the Nashbar fork?
    (As I couldn't see such specs on their website).
    Same with the fork offset/rake. Any idea what this is? (As my fork is 40.6mm).

As the headset on my Giant says "threadless", will this suit the Nashbar? (again, couldn't see specs on this).

Also, when replacing the fork, is it good practice to install a new headset to suit at the same time? (safety?)

Sorry 'bout all the questions.

Finally, would you be able to put up some pics of your bike with the fork on it?

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^
    Edit:-
    Found this below...
    "This is a nice well made fork with one major disadvantage; short A2C (385mm) makes it unsuitable for most MTB frames made in the last 10-15 years. A 440 A2C version would be very well appreciated at this price point!"
    (http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/nashbar-carbon-mountain-bike-fork-reviews#ixzz1K2XTQhii"

The A2C on my current fork is 420mm.
    Going down to 385mm is quite a drop on the bike front?
    Is it possible to get some kind of spacer to keep the bike geometry close to current?