Australian.
    Feb 2011

11spd for commuter?

I'm moving to 1x11 on my trail bike, and was wondering how it would go on my commuter?

Can someone with more brains than me tell me how the ratios would compare with my 44t front and 11-36t rear? I do run a middle ring (32) also, but use it very rarely. I spend most of my commutes in the bottom three cogs at the rear and on the 44 at the front.

The biggest ring I can run on the X01 cranks is 38t and the smallest on the cassette is 10, so mostly interested in how much top end I'd give up.

I suppose I could just run my XTR cranks with a custom 40ish tooth front ring?

Thanks.

PS, the bike is currently 26 inch but moving to 650b real soon, if that makes a difference.

Moderator Moderator
    You don't need more brains, you just need Sheldon Brown. Enter the wheel size, crank length (usually stamped on inside), chainring/cassette options, and desired way to compare (I like mph), and voila, you can compare different options easily. Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

It doesn't look like it's set up for 11 speed, but you can just use the 10 "custom sprocket" boxes, skipping one of the middle sprockets (that is, include the biggest and smallest gears).

Australian.
    Feb 2011
    Thanks mate, that's awesome! Turns out I need to run a 40t front on X01 to give me the same ratio as a 44-11.

mtbr member
    40 doesn't exist from Sram or Race Face but maybe Wolftooth has it. A 40 might not even fit your frame because it would be where your middle ring usually sits.
    A 38 ring and 10 cog is almost the same, you'd just have to spin a bit faster to get to the same speed as 44/11. I have it on my bike and almost never miss the 44/11.

Here's another calculator. Bike Gears calculator

Australian.
    Feb 2011
    Yeah, no-one does a 40t 11psd chainring, have emailed Wolftooth to see if they could custom one for me.

Also, yes, the frame may be a restriction too.

Edit - Thanks Limba, that calculator gives the ratios in kph. The difference really is tiny.

mtbr member
    You don't need it. Get the 38 and pedal faster. If you're strong you'll still be fast.

Australian.
    Feb 2011
    Yep, you've convinced me. That makes things simple, thanks.

mtbr member
    Just thought I'd mention that if you're worried about tooth count you don't really need one of the fancy new 11spd chainrings. It really depends on how you're riding.

For the last two winters I ran a 1x setup with a boring, non-ramped, singlespeed ring without a front derailleur or guard and it worked almost perfectly. I say almost perfectly, because I'd drop a chain maybe 5 times in a winter - usually when I cased a curb, or on really, really rutted snow/ice. For normal riding it worked just fine.

I did just get a fancy 38t narrow/wide ring for my hardtail, and it works fantastically well on all sorts of terrain. But for fairly sedate riding it's not a necessity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Just thought I'd mention that if you're worried about tooth count you don't really need one of the fancy new 11spd chainrings. It really depends on how you're riding.
    Do the chainrings need to be narrower for 11 speed than 10 speed? My concern is that the chain wouldn't seat all the way onto the teeth because they're too wide. I don't know for sure, but it's worth checking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Do the chainrings need to be narrower for 11 speed than 10 speed?
    I think it's the spacing between rings that's important, like if you were running a double or triple. With a single it doesn't matter because the inner width of the chain is the same, and only the thickness of the outer plates is different.

The fancy narrow/wide rings are listed as 9/10/11 speed compatible, so I think singlespeed rings would have to be the same.

(I'm pretty sure that's the case, but not 100% sure.)

mtbr member
    I don't know about 11 speed chains, but my chainring for a 2 x 5 setup (1972) is now running a 9 speed chain just fine on a 1 x 9. Should be able to lay the 11 spd chain on the desired chainwheel and see easy enough if the teeth are fine enough.

I just can't get past how expensive 1x11 setups are. Ouch. Especially the cassettes. No thanks. I have been wanting to go 1x on my commuter, but it'll be limited to a 1x10 or 1x9 instead. Probably 1x10.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Thats an expensive commute! Have you looked at the price of those cassettes!!!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Australian.
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the input everyone.