Moderator Moderator

Moderator Moderator
    For the non-metric-minded, 50 cm is just under 20".

My experience seems to agree with the study's findings. Maybe not even as high as 1-2% pass too close, but you sure notice them.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I find myself constantly listening to the traffic noises behind me, so much that I sometimes lose focus of what is ahead of me. I guess that I am waiting to get right hooked because a driver didn't see me as they passed me. I listen to how close a car is and prepare myself.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1896/2500

mtbr member
    I did get some greater percentage moving left in their lane or changing lanes with different rear lights, but that 1-2% seems about right to me. I am guessing that some have no idea how wide their car is, judging by how they park. They think that they are allowing 3 feet or more. I suspect. Some move over as soon as the driver is ahead forgetting that you are doing 20 mph and that their rear bumper clears by less than a foot. Others seem to drive like Mr. Magoo. I have seen a Buick tire hard against the fog line all the way approaching me, so the right mirror is about 18 " from me if I stayed put. They had three feet in their lane and another whole lane. Ford F350 trailer towing mirrors are often forgotten by their drivers, and reach out by more than a foot.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 12-01-2013 at 07:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My personal experience seems to agree with this study. I have found that running a bright day time blinking tail light helps. I rarely get buzzed when using this, and when I do it's normally quite obvious it was intentional. I think most times drivers pass too close it's because they don't even notice you, no matter how bright your clothes. Street signs, advertising, etc are all done in bright high vis colors, so they do not register with a zombie driver as something out of the ordinary. Lights however are something drivers have ingrained through experience as something to be payed attention to.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I really don't have3 a good estimate as to how close some people come...

But way more than 1 to 2% of drivers come way to close for my safety.

Especially when the roads are snowy...or car snotty.

I know my wife has no concept of how wide her vehicle is. She cannot for the life of her center herself in the lane. She does tend to give more space than minimally necessary when someone is on the right (pedestrian or cyclist) which somewhat compensates for it. But I get on her case about it on a regular basis because it's only a matter of time before she clips someone with a mirror because of it.

I have no doubt that plenty of other drivers have no concept of where the right side of their car is, and how far their mirror sticks out...AND don't care about giving cyclists plenty of room.

Moderator Moderator
    Once, driving a truck with a utility trailer, I literally had no sense of how wide my vehicle was, because a shovel handle worked its way out between the trailerís ramp and the sides, creating a super dangerous roadside sweeper sticking out to the side by almost the length of the shovel. I donít remember how or where I noticed it, if I saw it in the mirror or heard the sound of the handle on pavementÖ I think I was still on the interstate, but wow, that could have been ugly.

mtbr member
    First lesson I got driving. Remote little traveled road. Dad said center the vehicle in my lane then stop. Get out look at where you really are and how much room you have to the right. Repeated unto we were centered. Still if you usually drive a Ford Focus, then hop into a dually pickup, you may not have it quite right and a full legal width trailer can make it even worse. Especially if you forget it is back there and move back too soon. I took the lane and had a lady force by in the center with an oncoming Honda whose driver took a bit of lawn to keep clear. Both mirrors on her Windstar were gone. Good or her right one would have hit me. Hmmm. Pisser was she parked about 50 feet after passing me.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Most of the time im riding in pretty close proximity to vehicles so im kinda used to it. But,yeah ive had the **** scared outta me a couple of times.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ian Walker
    ...by making drivers more aware of how it feels to cycle on our roads and the consequences of impatient overtaking."
    It seems he is at least wondering whether these close passes are really accidental.

Because based on that I have been directly told by drivers, they are often not accidental at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    It seems he is at least wondering whether these close passes are really accidental.

Because based on that I have been directly told by drivers, they are often not accidental at all.
    Nope, some of them do it intentionally: Shifting Gears: Commuting Aboard The L.A. Bike Trains : NPR

"I've actually done one of those drive-really-close-to-them kind of things to kind of scare them, to try to intimidate them to get out of my way."

jrm
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jseko View Post
    Nope, some of them do it intentionally: Shifting Gears: Commuting Aboard The L.A. Bike Trains : NPR

"I've actually done one of those drive-really-close-to-them kind of things to kind of scare them, to try to intimidate them to get out of my way."
    I read that. I think that its pretty ****ed up that people will use their advantage of driving a a 4k vehicle to scare someone on a bike.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    I read that. I think that its pretty ****ed up that people will use their advantage of driving a a 4k vehicle to scare someone on a bike.
    Since I became a bike commuter I've been really interested in road design and engineering, then I had an epiphany. Traffic engineering is always fighting the fact that most people will endanger themselves and others to shave a few seconds off their travel time.