Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

08 specialized langster green/white; any thoughts, opinions?

Not too long ago maybe a week or two i decided to get a dedicated commuter ride instead of another wheelset with slicks for my sussy. I headed down to my lbs and checked out a few rides and stumbled upon the specailized langster "leftover" from 08. Its a fixie/singlespeed 700c's ect looks sharp. Plan to install some fenders and other odds and ends. just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this bike or one like it.
    thanks,
    heres a pic!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Sweet ride. Flip-flop hub? Diggin' the dark green, looks black!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Yeah the rear is a flip-flop style.
    The dark green is what i really like about it, the white panels are nice as well.
    I have been reading a bunch today and some people find that the rear cog gets worn pretty fast and needs to be upgraded soon after to a surly or what have you and i guess the wheels dont like to be true and the stock tires suck. I dont mind changing out tires and what not but i dont want to have a bike that i have to fix daily fk that

But im still going to check it out some at my shop and see what they have to say.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Tis a cool bike, but is it what suits?

Drop bars are only really worth it if your commute is long. Tire clearance is limited? If the wheels are a problem your LBS should look after you, there should be a warranty of some sort?

No-Brakes Cougar
    You might end up wanting to change out the rear cog anyway, for a larger one.

mtbr member
    They mentioned that i may need a larger cog if im doing any kind of hills.

Tires should be standard 700x23ish not too worried about that.

About the bars.....yeah more than likley they will be swapped for something flat or semi-rise. I wouldnt mind putting some caron bars on it for some added comfort.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Is it steel?

mtbr member
    aluminum with carbon fork

No-Brakes Cougar
    Carbon fork and bars should help balance out some of the harshness from the aluminum frame. Not sure how much frame clearance you have, but you could try fitting tires as wide as is possible. The lower PSI would smooth things out a bit as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just went through the same deal, ended up with a Gian Bowery with no regrets, I love the look and feel so far. I do not get to ride it as much as I wanted to though.

You should look into Swobo and SE if you want a steel, smoother ride.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

www.cyclng.com

mtbr member
    Yeah i was looking at some of the se lager and draft lite's.
    They have a leftover 08 lager brown singlespeed/fixie for 450 not a bad deal.The specialized is 600 i cant think of any reason why the specialized would be worth the extra money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I really like the Lager, I almost got one instead of the Bowery. I just loved the modern look of the bowery with no badging.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

www.cyclng.com

jrm
    mtbr member

Gears are nice

in the case you see to use the bike for something other them commuting. After 8 years of commuting with drop bars im really liking the freegle bar on my CX beater.

You could probably find a redline conquest for the price of a langster.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'm not sure, but I'm guessing most fixed gear bikes new are pretty much road bikes in terms of geometry, so I don't get why more people aren't picking up older steel road bikes. It isn't a hard conversion to turn it into a fixed gear and usually you end up with a lighter bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Road bike conversions look stupid without the track dropouts when you have to introduce a chain tensioner or have a slack chain. Get the right frame for the purpose you are using it for. Track bikes are for the track.

Redline has a variety of flip-flop bikes that are in your price range. The 9-2-5 comes to mind. It has fenders and is steel. Besides, the Langster would look weird with fenders.

jrm
    mtbr member

surly

Quote Originally Posted by newaccount
    Road bike conversions look stupid without the track dropouts when you have to introduce a chain tensioner or have a slack chain. Get the right frame for the purpose you are using it for. Track bikes are for the track.

Redline has a variety of flip-flop bikes that are in your price range. The 9-2-5 comes to mind. It has fenders and is steel. Besides, the Langster would look weird with fenders.
    cross check can be ran fixed or with gears
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by newaccount
    I think that they're fine if they have the old-school horizontal dropouts.

Supposedly you can yank the wheel forward out of the dropout if you sprint hard enough, but I never had a problem with that, even using a quick release wheel. I'm not a big guy, though - 140lbs at the time.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sweet looking ride! I have to ask though, what is the appeal of a single-speed? What is the down-side of having gears? Deraileurs have been around a long time and they do their job pretty well. I value my knees, and where I commute the hills would be impossible without a very low gear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tryallrider
    Yeah i was looking at some of the se lager and draft lite's.
    They have a leftover 08 lager brown singlespeed/fixie for 450 not a bad deal.The specialized is 600 i cant think of any reason why the specialized would be worth the extra money.
    I hate bullhorns with brake levers, the point of bullhorns is the have something similar hand position like on brake hoods.

Langster is a good looking bike, but I've seen a lot of wana-bes riding them, don't want to be considered a "hip" biker.

IMO single speed is the way to go for a commuter if you don't have to many hills. Not much to steal and replacement factor is low.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I bought a 09 New York(Taxi theme) Langster in November.
    flipped the hub to freecoaster for a few months and recently flipped it back to fixed.
    I use it to commute to work(about 7.5 miles each way)
    I like the bike a lot,as far as the rims/wheels go,they seem really strong,I have hit my share of potholes etc and theyre both as true(the rims) as when I bought it.

Hope you enjoy it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks
    Sweet looking ride! I have to ask though, what is the appeal of a single-speed? What is the down-side of having gears? Deraileurs have been around a long time and they do their job pretty well. I value my knees, and where I commute the hills would be impossible without a very low gear.
    I dont know to be perfectly honest. I do believe however having derailleur's makes me lazy instead of using my body to get up a hill I rely on gear ratio's and in the end I will be stronger, there's no doubt about it.

I know derailleur's have been around since the 60's and that's fine but from what i understand the first touring races were done on fixies i dont see why it cant be done today with having knee problems i know myself i out of shape of if any knee problems arise its probably my own fault.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks
    Well that's just the thing. SS/FG is fine if you live in the flatlands and don't have to fight headwinds daily. You save weight, mechanical woes and the straight chainline makes for more efficient pedaling. I live in the hills though and have some steep climbs, no matter what direction I head in. I rely heavily on my geared bike to get around. At some point though I plan on picking or building up an SS/FG flip-flop bike (probably based on an MTB frame) in case I start to plateau and/or am feeling particularly masochistic. The folks over on the Single Speed forum espouse all sorts of benefits to riding SS both on and off the road. I can see both sides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Gears help many people get to work without breaking a crazy sweat. Isn't that one of the biggest reasons why people don't bike to work?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

why single-speed/fixe ?

I still don't understand why anyone would not want multiple gears on their bike. I guess if I lived in a flatter area with no head-winds I might but hey, whatever turns your crank. As long as you are out riding that is a good thing.

=Don

Fat-tired Roadie
    Derailleurs are expensive and kind of fragile. They're also kind of heavy, as are extra chainrings and cassettes with multiple cogs. The jockey wheels in the rear derailleur can be a source of additional friction. Some freewheels have play in them. A singlespeed has none of these problems.

So for me it wasn't that I didn't want multiple gears on my utility bike. It was that I found that for getting around in the flat city I lived in at the time, they weren't very useful and they diminished the performance of the bike. If I could have magically had multiple gears without the bike gaining weight and mechanical complication, I'd totally have done it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast