mtbr member
    Mar 2009

'08 Rockhopper on campus...

Hey everybody, I hope you are all doing well

I recently bought a Specialized Rockhopper Disc for commuting from my apartment to campus and for trail riding on weekends. From your experiences is this bike too much of a target or should I be safe on campus with it as long as I lock it up with a nice Kryptonite Lock?

Thanks for the advice
    Last edited by uabiker; 03-17-2009 at 10:59 PM.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Some people swear you have to go over your bike with a screwdriver, splatter paint on it, scrape off brand names and such to make it appear undesirable to bike thieves. To me this seems to defeat the purpose of buying a nice bike. If you are worried about getting your bike jacked or you have a high rate of bike theft on your campus then I would save your Rockhopper for the trails and pick up a beater for commuting to class.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

beautiful jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Some people swear you have to go over your bike with a screwdriver, splatter paint on it, scrape off brand names and such to make it appear undesirable to bike thieves. To me this seems to defeat the purpose of buying a nice bike.
    A nice bike is more than just paint and logos.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    If you are worried about getting your bike jacked or you have a high rate of bike theft on your campus then I would save your Rockhopper for the trails and pick up a beater for commuting to class.
    However, I do agree with this. Find a beater on Craigslist for less than $100.00 and uglify it if it is not already ugly enough.

The amount you spend on a beater will save much frustration when (not if) your Specialized is stolen.

mtbr member

Smile

i agree if you have a routine and you lock the bike in the same place someone will jack open your lock. and take the bike. or the could just damage it for the fun of it because they cant have something that nice. keep it in your sight at all times thats what i do with my bike.

good luck. post some pictures of it when you can.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'd be careful with it. For 2 years, I was fine on campus with my Trek. I kept it locked in my dorm room, and when riding to classes it was locked in different places. Cable + kryptonite U lock

The bike was stolen out of my apartment. The bike was downstairs, I was upstairs, heard a noise and there was someone in my house. When he saw me, he grabbed the bike and ran then rode off. The campus police department has jurisdiction where I lived, but they didn't come after I called 911. I walked to the police station the next morning, and they told me they didn't investigate bike thefts because they're so common. They didn't seem to understand or care that it was a breaking and entering...

I got 2 road bikes for $10 from a church garage sale after that. Between the 2 I was able to build one ridable bike. It was also stolen one day while locked up on campus. The lock they cut cost me more than the bike.

mtbr member
    On campus get a beater for transport
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by uabiker
    Hey everybody, I hope you are all doing well

I recently bought a Specialized Rockhopper Disc for commuting from my apartment to campus and for trail riding on weekends. From your experiences is this bike too much of a target or should I be safe on campus with it as long as I love it up with a nice Kryptonite Lock?

Thanks for the advice
    I used to work on a college campus, and lived pretty close. I had a Hardrock that didn't even turn eyes on campus, but somebody cut the cable lock the ONE night I left it outside my apartment. I replaced it with a full suspension Rockhopper (2000 model FSR), and never had any theft issues, but I ALWAYS kept it inside my apartment, and always used a u-lock on campus.
    I see a lot of really nice bikes on various college campuses, and have locked up my own. As long as its in a high foot traffic area, thieves are unlikely to try and bust a u-lock. I would not leave something that has parts worth stripping out there over-night, though!

If your worried, see if your campus provides bike lockers. I had one for a while, it was some good peace of mind, and a nice place to stash extra gear too.

~Disc~Golf~
    always park your bike near bikes nicer than yours. (and with weaker locks than yours)
    Honestly... ahh I give up

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by one incredible donkey
    A nice bike is more than just paint and logos.
    Obviously, yes. However, I don't agree that buying an expensive bike and then trashing it so no one will want to steal it is the answer.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Depends a lot on the campus in question IME.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Heres a picture. Its from my phone so it is no where near the quality of my Canon SLR but it works.

mtbr member

Smile

nice ride hope you enjoy it. did you end up decideing if your going to ride it to campus. if so whats the game plan on keeping it secure? are you thinking of doing any upgrades to the bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    No, I've decided that it isn't worth risking it so I'm going to buy a $50 bike from Wal Mart to commute and my Rockhopper will be my weekend warrior. As far as upgrades go I'm thinking that before I do any big upgrades I need to ride it a bit more and really get a feel for its weaknesses. I do however plan on replacing the seat soon because it is super stiff, I'm sure that its a decent seat but its lack of cushion doesn't work very well on a hardtail.

mtbr member

Smile

sounds good also a good pair of shorts with padding would help also. and yea a bike from slave-mart will be perfect for campus. good luck

Jason