mtbr member

X-Post: EPIC FAILURE...leads to epic comeback! (My '09 Supreme DH)

So I have done some stupid things before...but nothing as dumb and absent minded while biking as pulling my seatpost out a little too far without checking how much was still in the seat tube!

(note: the first picture has the seatpost looking like it was plenty deep, but I simply moved the broken piece up the post while I rode down after the incident)

After searching around for a month or two for bike builders that could fix it I found somebody who could. Sherwood over at Ventana took the frame, cut out the seat post and replaced it with a brand new seat post of the same 7005 alloy. After welding it all back together it was heat treated and powdercoated Grinch Green! I got the frame back and slowly started building it up with some new parts and some old parts. Really stoked on how it turned out and once my broken ankle heals I'll be happy to take it to the trails instead of just riding it around the court.

The Fix

The Bike

Still making the final version of the bulldog headbadge and then getting it powdercoated blue!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Nice work on the repair!

If you don't mind me asking - how much did that set you back?

And what kind of seat post insertion are we talking to have caused that breakage?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Willy
    Nice work on the repair!

If you don't mind me asking - how much did that set you back?

And what kind of seat post insertion are we talking to have caused that breakage?
    The paint blasted off, seat tube cut out, new tube welded in, head treatment, powdercoat was $450 with tax.

I would guess that I had about 2.5-3" in the seat tube. When I looked at the user manual later it recommends a minimum of 3.5" I think. My stupid mistake - but one I will never make again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sherwood...ain't he wonderful
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    That's a great looking bike.

Living the High Life
    What were you doing using the seat? Its a DH bike, the seat is only for pedaling to the lift!
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    What were you doing using the seat? Its a DH bike, the seat is only for pedaling to the lift!
    too true...however i was with a couple of buddies where there is some climbing and some fun downhills and i didn't feel like riding my hardtail....and i paid for it in the end

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Where did you find the Stickers/Decals?