mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Very close to pulling the trigger on a Meta AM, but some help please...

I've read the reviews, and they all appear to be all good for the Meta AM. I'm just really concerned about that shock position, and would really appreciate some honest feedback from you guys (Commencal owners).
    I ride mostly trail to aggressive trail. Given today's standards, the XC track at Pietermaritzburg -- the techy sections -- would really be by my standards, very aggressive trail riding. We have basically 2 seasons: dry and wet (or wet, and very wet), which translates to loose rocks, stones, dirt for 4-5 months; and mud (clay, where I usually ride) for the other 4-5 months. (the remaining months is when we're usually drunk on weekends). Of course, we have a mix of forest rides which throws the occasional root network, and sometimes deal with rock gardens. Getting an AM bike to hopefully push my riding further. Anyway, that shock is really at an "odd" position where all of the earth stuff seems to go to.
    I'm sure the guys at Commencal know what they're doing, but from experience, how damage proof is that shock position...?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Commencal also make a factory mudgaurd for the rear of the Meta if it is a problem in some conditions.

Of course could always make your own with a little innertube. Commencal website sell them direct.

-k

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks, I was actually trying to figure out a way to cover that with some kind of inner tube design. Appreciate the feedback... Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You could also use something like this:

Universal Cycles -- Lizard Skins Rear Shock Cover

I used one on my Cannondale Jekyll (first gen). It had a similar setup where the tire just tossed everything right on the shock. It always worked well for me, but it sounds like you are in much more sloggy conditions than I ever was.