mtbr member
    Oct 2008

supreme DH right choice?

Hey guys!

In the next months iīm going to buy a new dh race bike. after i sold my Intense M3 last year because i didnīt have enough time for racing.

so now i need a new rig and donīt know exactly what to choose. I never felt really comfortable on my M3 in medium. Before the M3 i was riding a giant team dh and a turner dhr which felt much better than the M3. Iīm about 1,72m and the supreme DH would be one of my favourite bikes. I wonder if it is too big for me in s/m because of the long seattube.

what do you think...any other recommendations?

thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've been riding one for a couple of months. The bike rides great, however i'm not completely satisfied with the quality & the design. The linkage develop a noticeable play within days of getting the bike (no matter how well tightened or locktited), the bearings on the main pivot were painted along with the frame (WTF!) and the paint chips really easily. I also got a defective Roco on the frame, but i guess Commencal is not to blame for that one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Supreme DH

I have been riding a small/short Supreme. I am 5'9", and it fits me well. I came from a Socom, and M6. The Supreme has amazing suspension, and the adjustments are sweet. The quality is a bit lacking, as I had the same problems mentioned previously. The customer support here is really good though and I got some new linkage parts for free. I did miss the confidence I felt in my M6 when cornering, however other guys riding the Supreme love the cornering. Overall, I feel the incredible suspension and adjustability outweigh the negatives.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    A friend of mine and myself are both riding and racing a Supreme DH for about 8~9 months now.
    Overall I am really satisfied with the bike. But with both our bikes the linkage got play in them really easily. That is caused by overtightening of the bolts wich causes the aluminium rings to shear of and effectively cause the bolts to have no effect on the linkage. I made thicker stainless steel rings for that and both the bikes are play free for a couple of months now.

And some other thing I noticed is that in my bike the headtube sleave can be rotated by hand while inserted and the pinch bolts loosened. Whil in my friends bike you have to take the sleeve out with a block of wood and a hammer. So my conclusion would be they have some wide tolerances or problems staying in the tolerance range.

Like said before, the suspension performance is great. The adjustable geometry lets you tune it to your preference.And maybe it is on the heavy side but that isnt noticable on trail.
    And I would rather have a heavier frame then some of the recent lightweight disposable frames.

mtbr member
    get an evil

Living the High Life
    djamgils I had a similar issue with my Supreme DH. I replaced all of the bearings. I found that the main ones had gone in a little crooked and that started the whole problem. I emailed Commencal and they hit me back in a day and told me the sizes I need. I went to a local shop and got everything I needed. The whole problem was fixed in a few days.

Those aluminum tapered washers are worthless. Go get some steel grade 8 bolts, washers, lock washers and loctite from a hardware store. After all these changes I have zero slope in my bike and only have to tighten things once every few weeks Commencal is a smaller company and this was the first year for the new frame design, there is going to be manufacturing issues.

You also might want to reconsider how slacked out you have that boxxer. I ran my 40 like that with a dropped crown and felt the front was washing out a bit too much. I brought the fork up a bit and it lowered the front end, better balance on the bike. But everyone is different so you might not need to, just something to think about.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ithnu, I wouldnt use lock washers if you mean things like these, http://images.google.nl/images?hl=nl...ed=0CBsQsAQwAA
    To eliminate play you need a stiff axle with stiff bolts so you dont want to introduce flex by using lock washers.
    By using the thicker stainless steel washers I never have to tighten them anymore.

the stanchions are actually already on the lowest possible position to still have 203mm of travel. I had them a bit heigher but yeah that didnt ride well for me either.

Living the High Life
    I'll take out the lock washers next year and see what happens. Last year I was replacing the bolts as those crappy aluminum things wore out. Over the winter I'm just going to replace them all.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Is the issue with play in the linkage only a problem on the '09's? I'm considering buying a '10 Supreme DH, but I wanted to know if it'll have the same linkage issues?

Does the Supreme DH have any other quirks I should know about? I've only been able to talk with the local Commencal dealer, but I wanted to try and get some unbiased feedback about the bike before I buy one. Thanks for the help!

Living the High Life
    Recently I had to replace the aluminum spacers on the linkage too. One set of them was getting smashed and reduced in diameter from the damage...again more slop. I replaced the others with grade 8 washers. But the damaged one needs to be original for tolerances, I could look harder for a better sized washer but I have 2 sets to go through before I need new ones for now.

Pain in the arse? Yes. A $3k bike should have better fit and finish, its ridiculous to have such crappy hardware on something this expensive.

I don't know about the 2010s, hopefully they addressed this. When the bike is slop free it rides great, but I am tired of the maintenance. I have had no other issues with the bike besides the washers/spacers.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Does the slop issue continue with the Mini DHs?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    Does the slop issue continue with the Mini DHs?
    I'm not sure. I think they used the same crappy washers/spacers on everything in 2009. They improved for 2010, so if you're thinking about a 2009 I'd get the 2010 washer/spacer kit for it.