mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Super 4.2 - Seizing - Rider Error?!?

Hi, I bought a 2009 Super 4.2 less than 6 months ago and have trouble with the gears seizing when going up steep hills. I have been informed by the company who sold me the bike that it is chain suck and the problem exists when selecting gears on the smallest ring and in the lower half of the cassette and that this is commonly recognised as being poor practice.

As the chain seizes abruptly I feel a little short changed as I have now had 4 services, 2gear cables and a rear derailleur pully fitted and the problem still exists. I'm not built like Chris Hoy and need to use these gears when off road and when going up-hill, after all it is a mountain bike!

Has anyone had the same problem or can anyone offer any suggestions. Thanks

mtbr member
    Are you actually using the bottom half of the Cassette when using the smallest front chainring?

If you are that is most likely the cause of the problem like the shop said, if not it's something else.

Chains aren't designed to run with sideways kinks in them and using those gears in the smallest ring is going to wreck your chain and cassette, you shouldn't be using any more than the 4 slowest gears with the smallest chainring, then all gears with the middle ring and the fastest 3 or 4 with the big ring.

It could be some other things, check if the all the pivots are done up properly. If one's loose the back end will be flexing which would mess with your gears when you pedal hard.

Also check none of the teeth on your chain rings have burs on them or are turning into waves, although if it's been in the shop that many times I would hope they've checked that for you.