mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Stem length on small Meta 5

I'm planning on building a small Meta 5.I was wondering what would be a good stem length on a small frame for general trail riding. I'm 5.6'. Thanks for all your advice.

mtbr member
    50 - 60mm would be great for Meta.. but basically, it will depends on your inseam and your riding position.. if it doesn't fit well, u still can adjust from your saddle..

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks 4nd! My inseam is 29" I also like my riding position not too stretched out. Would the 50 or 60 mm stem effect climbing ability? Thanks

mtbr member
    I come from the shorter stem is better club (I've been racing DH for over 12 years), but on a 140mm travel trail bike I'd run a 90mm stem. You can run shorter if you feel the bike is too long, but for good climbing geometry I'd run a 90. On ou Meta 6 demo we have a 70mm and on my DH bikes I run 50s.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    i dont think stem length would effect much for climbing ability.. cause most effect u' will get from your fork travel length..

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks guys. A friend is running 100mm on his small and i found it to be a tad short and tall (100X5) If I ran a 90X0 will it help bringing the front down a lot?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayancycles
    Thanks guys. A friend is running 100mm on his small and i found it to be a tad short and tall (100X5) If I ran a 90X0 will it help bringing the front down a lot?
    If 100 felt short then 90 will feel even shorter. Going from 5 degree rise to 0 will be pretty minimal in height. Instead look at the number of spacers you friend had under their stem and look at the rise of their handlebars. These days with longer travel forks I like my bars to be 1" or less in rise on all my bikes. What may work for you is to run a 100x5, but upside down. This will give you a negative 5 degree rise and that will be a decent bit lower than your friends setup.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks Scott for the advice. I made a mistake. I meant that the 100mm is a tad too long and tall. My friend's bike actually has only a 5 mm spacer.My bar only has an inch rise. I tried flpping the stem over but it felt very strange alomost XC like position.

mtbr member
    Ahhh, with that corrected I'd recommend the 90x5 and leave the steer tube a bit long to play with bar height. A 10mm shorter stem is like going down 1/2 a size in bike. Most bikes are about 20mm different in TT measurement btwn sizes.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

NedwannaB

I should have read this post first!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
    Ahhh, with that corrected I'd recommend the 90x5 and leave the steer tube a bit long to play with bar height. A 10mm shorter stem is like going down 1/2 a size in bike. Most bikes are about 20mm different in TT measurement btwn sizes.
    I didn't see this and posted to the 5.5 standover thread!! D'oh!

Scott, what are your thoughts on a small rider getting a frame a little bigger and down sizing stem etc, as oppposed to stretching a smaller frame out?? I have longer torso/arms then inseam to most people my hieght and always feel cramped. Thinking I may be just that on a small Meta, since I see alot of others saying these models run shorter cockpits due to the seat/head angles.

Thx in advance-JMac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    I didn't see this and posted to the 5.5 standover thread!! D'oh!

Scott, what are your thoughts on a small rider getting a frame a little bigger and down sizing stem etc, as oppposed to stretching a smaller frame out?? I have longer torso/arms then inseam to most people my hieght and always feel cramped. Thinking I may be just that on a small Meta, since I see alot of others saying these models run shorter cockpits due to the seat/head angles.

Thx in advance-JMac
    My advice for a rider that feels they are in between sizes is to go up in frame size so you can run a shorter stem. A shorter stem gives you better control as it keeps your hands behind the front axle when descending. Of course you also want to make sure you can lower the seat enough for long descents and/or make sure you can run a remote adjustable seatpost if that's what you like. IMO the Commencals do run a bit small. I'm 5'8" with a long torso and the medium Meta 6 feels a bit small to me for XC rides, but just right for shuttles. I run a 70mm stem on that bike.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

NedwannaB

NO shuttles for me......

Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
    My advice for a rider that feels they are in between sizes is to go up in frame size so you can run a shorter stem. A shorter stem gives you better control as it keeps your hands behind the front axle when descending. Of course you also want to make sure you can lower the seat enough for long descents and/or make sure you can run a remote adjustable seatpost if that's what you like. IMO the Commencals do run a bit small. I'm 5'8" with a long torso and the medium Meta 6 feels a bit small to me for XC rides, but just right for shuttles. I run a 70mm stem on that bike.
    ......I try to earn it by pedaling up!!

Yeah from what I can see on the sizing chart, I'm right at the threshold for going over into med. Still thinking a small (listed @ 16" which is my normal size) with my 100mm stem may be a better overall pick for my riding. Possibly a 100 stem with the slack front end geo may not be right . Heading out to run some work errands and the LBS just happens to be in route so I'm going to drop in and take a closer look at the med (which is all they have in stock) as far as position/standover clearence etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'de go with the medium JMac, I was in the same boat between the Medium and the Large and I chose the large largely in part because of the TT length. Commencal bikes tend to have short TT lengths in comparison to their seat tube lengths. I have always been told that the bigger the frame you can ride the better.