Rohloff Sultan

Rohloff Commencal (VIP Meta 6)

Recently joined this forum and decided to post a Rohloff OEM2 build I did (via www.thecyclery.co.uk) a few years ago (May 2008) on a VIP Meta 6 frame. Two years have passed and it's been great...two oil and running gear changes...on about 2/3 rides a week...in typical NW England (United Kingdom) gloop!

The Commencal will be losing the Rohloff shortly to a new Turner Sultan build...watch this space...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rohloff Commencal (VIP Meta 6)-img_2105.jpg  

Rohloff Commencal (VIP Meta 6)-img_2099.jpg  

Rohloff Commencal (VIP Meta 6)-img_2097.jpg  

Rohloff Commencal (VIP Meta 6)-img_2101.jpg  

Rohloff Commencal (VIP Meta 6)-img_2100.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Wow, that is very, very cool!

How do you find the handling on the bike with the weight on the rear wheel?

Rohloff Sultan
    For me at least...prefer the weight on the back...as landing flat or on the back wheel is better than the front(!). You also get used to riding within the constraints of the bike an its handling. A plus point is the strength of the back wheel when hitting the ground hard (not that I do it too often).

Side note: Rohloff doesn't do a Maxle version of the hub...but Nicolai will customise frame drop-outs like the ION ST/Helius AFR to take a QR. Most (all) of the corporate bike companies can't offer that type of service.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yeah I imagine you'd get used to it. With looks that cool, I'd put up with any handling differences!

By strength - do you mean having a wheel built up with shorter spokes?

I would have though with more weight over the rear wheel, you could be a bit more prone to pinch flatting - have you found that at all?

Rohloff Sultan
    Yes...shorter spokes. And no...only had one pinch flat in two years...I normally run pressure at 45-50psi.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by madav13
    Yes...shorter spokes. And no...only had one pinch flat in two years...I normally run pressure at 45-50psi.
    45psi? Man that's high. I'm 205 lbs and I run 32 psi in my Meta6.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Rohloff Commenšal (Supreme)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rohloff Commencal (VIP Meta 6)-supreme.jpg