mtbr member

RM etsx-70, Ventana El-Salt, or Commencal Meta 5.1

Looking for 5" bikes: Rock Mountain etsx-70, Ventana El-Salt, or Commencal Meta 5.1
    My riding style is somewhere between XC and AM. I like both directions up and down, and want to feel safer when going down, but still don't give up on climbing abilities (especially technical climbing)
    What is your recommendation of these finalists?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Salt is an extremely impressive bike. It is stiff like you would not believe. Part of that is the design and the fact that is is hand-built by Sherwood and his crew all in-house in California. It is nimble, stiffer than many 5"-6"" bikes, and has great clearance. It is very well balanced and easy to lift the front without having a light front end. Brilliant bike and one you may just own for a decade. It is also very plush and confidence-inspiring at speed and especially in slow technical sections since it is very easy to balance.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Go wander down to the Ventana Forum and ask about the differences between the Salty and the Cinclon.

The Salty, if I remember correctly was a 4" bike that can handle up to 6". The Conclon is designed as a dedicated 5" bike. Might be some geometry tweaks to make use of the extra (base) travel.

Of the three ya list though, hands down - The Ventana. It's in a different league than the other two. (Not to say that they are bad bikes, heck owned a Rocky myself.)

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

www.sirbikealotracing.com
    here is a review from a Canadian Magazine called pedal, says its one of the best climbing bikes they've tried but more importantly it slays the downhills

: : :http://sirbikealotracing.com/ : : : : : : : : :

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual