mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Prefer Heckler or Commencal 5.3?

Which of these 2 bikes would you prefer and why? My friend is around 195 lbs and will ride xc and a few stunts. I've not been able to read up much on the commencal. Both are around the same price range. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

both are good bikes

The Heckler is a proven great all everything bike. I just bought a Commencal 5.2 after demoing one on the trails. The frame is amazing and you get some good parts for the money. Read the reviews and see if you can demo one. They are hard to find though.

Let me know if I can be of any help.
    Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tickles
    Which of these 2 bikes would you prefer and why? My friend is around 195 lbs and will ride xc and a few stunts. I've not been able to read up much on the commencal. Both are around the same price range. Thanks.
    I noticed that you are from Canada. There is a shop in Cochrane, Alberta called "Bike Bros" that sells the Commencal line and the owner is helpful with any questions you might have. I have owned a Heckler and it is the tits for all around riding and can handle moderate freeriding. If your friend is getting into really aggressive riding, I would recommend the Heckler. The Heckler frame is just a little beefier than the Meta.

The Commencal has a better suspension design even though it is still classified as a single pivot bike. There is less brake jack and better small bump absorption on the Commencal Meta. Not that the Heckler is really bad in this area, but the Meta is just a little better. The Meta for 07 has 5.5" of travel if this is important.

Bottom line. More xc with minor stunts = Meta. More aggressive riding = Heckler.

Both bikes are great for all mountain riding.

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    The Commencal should have a stiffer rear end due suspension design.My Heckler felt like a wet noodle.The Heckler could use a swinglink like a Foes or Ventana.This,the step headangle and the diggressive suspension setup anoyes me most about the Heckler.

Later
    RaD

GOD SPEED # 58 RIP
    Commencal, can't go wrong Max Commencal being around for ever and he's bikes are WC proven! IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you are looking for a Commencal bike and are in Canada or Alaska, send me a PM. I can hook you up for a good price.

Cheers

JF