Thread: which one?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

which one?

age 26
    location greece
    near district filled with mountains
    riding style a bit of everything which means about 2-3 hour hacks containing uphill sessions and then downhill with some small jumps
    terrain contains everything from rough soil till rocky sessions but mostly it's dry rough soil.

after my introduction which will help into judging which bike fits me best,i'll pass to the bikes:

1.specialized pitch pro 2009
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...=09Pitch&eid=2
    pros-i guess it's spot on for all mountain conditions-great color
    cons-i don't like the color and set up that much

2.felt compulsion 4
    http://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog...pulsion-4.aspx
    pros-great all mountain bike
    cons-i don't know much about the firm

3.commencal meta 5.5.3
    http://www.commencal.com/news/bicycl.../meta53_09.jpg
    pros-everybody seems to like it
    cons-it seems a bit xc machine

4.kona stinky six
    http://www.konaworld.com/09_stinkysix_en.cfm
    pros-seems totally bombproof and unbreakable-amazing color and setup
    cons-con't know if the coil (fox vanilla r) will make the uphill job quite difficult and tiresome-not that i am doing marathon uphills.

any help would be match appreciated.
    of course if you would suggest any other bike not listed is highly acceptable.

PS.what is the weight of the commencal?(size large)
    Last edited by sundace; 01-22-2009 at 07:12 PM.

Living the High Life
    I was going to get a Meta 5, but realized it had no ISCG tabs. Eventually I'm going to put a Hammerschmit on it. That and I run a chain tensioner, I've had the chain fall off too many times during fast descents. So I went with a Meta 6. I bought the frame only, so I'm waiting to put it together right now.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    the meta is a great choive though?
    what is your opinion?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    does this bike ride well?
    will it fit my riding style?

Living the High Life
    I just got it actually, yesterday. I got the frame without a rear shock, so I have to order one. Other wise I'm changing everything over from my Specialized Enduro. I'll write a report about it in a month or so once its up and functional. Here's a pic of the new frame

I'd have to say between all of those I'd go for either the Specialized or the Commencal. I'm selling my Enduro because is a size to small (its a large I need an XL). And the Enduro has a DHX Air on back, it doesn't pedal so well, I'm putting a RP23 on the Meta 6. Definitely stay away from the Stinky with a coil shock, I don't care what people say, an RP23 WILL pedal better.

The Meta 6 is a little heavier than the 5 and has ISCG tabs. Commencal makes the L and XL with bigger tubbing than the S and M. So its more durable (great idea really) but is a bit heavier. My XL Meta six came in at 8.4 pounds, more than I thought, but it is an XL.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Living the High Life
    Oh, and I'm in the Front Range of Colorado near Denver. Typically 1,500 foot vertical climbs that take and hour or so followed by an awesome rocky descent that takes 10 minutes I can ride a lot of it on my hard tail, but suspension makes it soooo much more fun. I ride with guys on everything from a 10 year old hard tail worth $100 to a $6000 XTR equipped Santa Cruz. I have to say, those of us with the beefier bikes have way more fun coming down, another reason I went with the Meta 6.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    you have been very helpful!

i am 1,82 cm.

should i go for a medium or a large?

Living the High Life
    At that height I'd say large. I'm 6'1" (185cm) and I got the XL.