mtbr member
    Mar 2005

My Last Q before im gnna pay for 5.5 VIP Custom

My details

Hight: 171cm
    Inseam: 79cm

Still freakin thorn btween Small or Medium! This gonna be my do all bike! More trail.. thanx.. below some detail from a guy i my town who did a bike fitting ... I tot i spose to use Medium but then.....

Hi Kal,

Okay I've studies the measurements and done some calculations. I think a small will be bang on. Here is how I arrived at that conclusion:

-I drew the commencal frame geometry on my FrameCAD program then using your measurements made some rough (+/-5mm) calculations. With the small frame at the maximum seat height you will need to run, with the stock handlebar on the commencal should bring your seat level with the bar. Perfect for a mid travel bike. On the Med it has 10mm higher in the front and you dont need this height. You only need to go higher in head tube if the seat starts being way above the bar.

-Secondly while the commencal seems to have a shortish top tube remember the seat tube does not extend from the bb, it is in front of it AND at a 68 degree angle. As you put your seat to the right height and setback ,the seat is moving further back (due to the slack 68 angle) than what it would if the seat tube was the more standard 73/74 degree. This will have the effect of increasing the top tube length slightly more.

-I estimate you will need about 30cm of post/seat above the seat clamp on a small, that will equate to about 25cm of extension on the seatpost. Well within proportion.

-To run a XC style setup I think you will need a 100mm stem although this will not make use of the full capabilities of this bike ie. high speed manoeuvrability, ability to jump etc. Running an 70/80mm stem (depending on handlebar sweep and rotation) will bring you bang on the mark for enough weight over the front to climb satisfactorily but short enough to keep centre of gravity back for jumping, descending

-Yes you could ride a Medium frame and if you wanted to run a regular XC setup and put on a flat bar etc it would be okay. But there is no reason based on geometry or your measurements to require the bigger frame. The smaller frame will handle quicker due to the shorter wheelbase and I think a more versatile bike for the type of riding you are wanting to do.

-When I got my Meta 666 I got it for an XC type setup and bought a large, it was the right decision. The first commencal I got was a supreme mini dh and I got a med as it was for more dh tracks, freeriding etc. This was the right decision in both cases

Please Helpo!! Thanx
    SCALPEL 900 ( Sobe Rep)

mtbr member
    I'm same height and always ride smalls, more flickable and easier to control, FOR ME that is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Dont u feel like cramping on the cocpit? whats ur stem length?
    SCALPEL 900 ( Sobe Rep)

EvilRider
    Oct 2008
    One more thing to consider. Tubing size from frame size to frame size. Somebody stop me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Commencal uses either different diameter or different thickness tubes as the frame size increases. That may affect long term durability of the frame if you go smaller, such as cracking or bulging.......unless you're not going to push it that hard.