mtbr member

Meta V3 steerer tube and cable wear issue.

I've posted a thread about a wear issue I've found in the General forum. If you have a V3 Meta please have a look and share your thoughts and experience. Maybe you know a solution?

LINK

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I saw it mentioned in the big PB Commencal thread while I was building up my Meta. Solution offered there was to loosely shrinkwrap the steerer. Seems to have worked so far. I expect it'll still need changing occasionally.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by warpcow View Post
    I saw it mentioned in the big PB Commencal thread while I was building up my Meta. Solution offered there was to loosely shrinkwrap the steerer. Seems to have worked so far. I expect it'll still need changing occasionally.
    Could you post a link to the PB thread please?

I'm assuming they're sending me something like helicopter tape which would do essentially the same thing. I'm disappointed that they've not been more proactive. No tape is fitted from the factory and they made no mention of needing any steerer protection until I asked. They're quite good at sending out emails promoting their products, the odd customer care one would be nice.

My concern is that people could buy a Meta and use it hard for years, totally oblivions to the wear. If you service the fork without taking it off the bike you could end up with a lot of wear on the steerer without knowing a thing about it. You'd be pretty peeved if you found a big groove in your steerer caused by the way the bike is designed and Commencal had done nothing to warn you about it.

I'll let you now what they send me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The guy who wrote about the shrinkwrap actually posted a seperate thread too. Here: Internally routed cables- steerer damage. - Pinkbike Forum

The original, long, thread is here (Meta V3 stuff starts around page 120-ish): The official COMMENCAL thread - Page 15 - Pinkbike Forum

There's more info in the longer thread about "Why shrinkwrap instead of helitape?" and so on, but I can't find it just now. Hope you get it sorted.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the links Mr Cow.

As an aside, I noticed on the PB thread that quite few people had suffered from the rear dérailleur whipping round into the spokes. And as usual, they blame the hanger but I don't think it is. The hanger is just a bit of metal, it just sits there. Over the years I've seen quite a few cases of this, I have a friend with a road bike waiting for me to fix right now, and every single time it has been a SRAM dérailleur. Every one.