mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Meta 5 or 6 For 240 lber

I am thinking about a Meta 5 or 6 for an AM ride. My hardtail is beating me up but very very sturdy. I have a Banchee Sirrocco at 27 lbs., which is basically a XC bike to me. On this bike I pick lines and have been able to keep from destroying a hand built pair of DT 4.1s on Hadleys. I could destroy them at any second if I choose.

How is the rear end flex on single pivot design of the Meta series? I could get the rear end to flex on my 05 Kona Coilair (basically a 04 light Stinky) where it would feel like I was rolling the rubber off the rim. This of course was after about 2 years of abuse.

This will be my distance bike but may see some 2-3 foot drops and some womping.

Opinions??

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3" 225 and I have a Meta 666 and I love it. My bike weighs in at 35lbs. Being a big guy, you are going to suffer on the climbs no matter what. Where you will appreciate the extra travel and the stiffness that front and rear thru-axel's bring will be on the descents. I charge through stuff now that I would never even think about when I was on my Santa Cruz Superlight. Check backcountry.com, as they have the '08 Meta 666 for pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If you still didn't buy a meta 6.
    Buy One!!!
    I'm riding a custom build 09 meta 6.
    climb perfect fro its class.
    plush like riding on clouds.
    very nice tracktion and cornering...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinercom
    I'm 6'3" 225 and I have a Meta 666 and I love it. My bike weighs in at 35lbs. Being a big guy, you are going to suffer on the climbs no matter what. Where you will appreciate the extra travel and the stiffness that front and rear thru-axel's bring will be on the descents. I charge through stuff now that I would never even think about when I was on my Santa Cruz Superlight. Check backcountry.com, as they have the '08 Meta 666 for pretty cheap.
    1 year later and I'm still loving this bike. I upgraded the wheels and dropped to a 1x9 drivetrain. The bike is down to 31lbs for an XL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meta 5 or 6 For 240 lber-badass-bike.jpg  

Living the High Life
    That's pretty damn good for a XL. I have the same size and mine is around 33, varies depending on tires. I run 36x22 up front since I do some grinds uphill regularly. Its going to gain a bit of weight when I add a Joplin soon. But the drop seat post is worth it.

Hmmm, can't find a small enough photo.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    What about the Commencal meta 5 for the large riders?

Living the High Life
    I have a friend who's 6'4" with a Meta5, he's not a very aggressive rider but he's had the bike for a year with no problems. We did take apart both rear suspensions to grease up some pivots and I noticed the Meta6 was definitely beefier in spots.

If you're riding mostly XC it won't matter. If you're on the freeride edge (more rocks, drops, jumps, etc) then get the Meta6.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    The problem isnt height its weight... I am looking at a 55.3 in XL, an I am concerned about the single pivot handling my weight. which by the time I get around to buying this bike should be somewhere around 260-270. It will go down from there, but thats where I would be when and if I get a meta.

Josh

Living the High Life
    At that weight you're going to have to be careful with any frame. If you're just trail riding you'll be fine. If you're going to be doing rock gardens, drops, jumps etc I'd find something more stout though.

Giant makes pretty beefy bikes, a Reign would be a good choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So over a year later, I am on a 08 5spot (w/o DW link). I bought the frame new several months ago. $1000 OTD from a little shop in Colorado. The price was the determining factor. To date here in Socal. I have seen 1 Commencal Meta ever.

I still want a single swing arm, single pivot. Just simple, sexy and no frills IMHO.

Living the High Life
    Here's photo of mine

There are more Commys here in the Denver area since were several dealers, some are gone now though. The Fix and Sol Vista Bike Park still keep some in stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meta 5 or 6 For 240 lber-moab-march-2010-123.jpg  

mtnside bikes
    Dec 2010
    The Meta 55 (even the carbon) is fine for heavier riders - three of us in the shop are in the 220-240 pound range and have never had a problem.

I'd say that the Meta 5/6 choice would be more a matter of your riding style than weight. The Meta 55 is lighter and quicker, the Meta 6 cruises through rougher trails effortlessly but is a little heavier.

tengel
    Jun 2008
    Orange five anywone??