mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Meta 5.5/6 too small or too big for me?

i'm looking for a trail/light AM bike to replace my 07 Uzzi as i want to have a larger gap between my trail/am bike and my DH bike (2006 DHR). i found both the carbon Meta 5.5 and Meta 6 from and they seem like a good deal. my only concern is sizing. i'm a little below 6'2" and i was wondering if the Meta 5.5 Carbon in Large is too small for me or the Meta 6 in XL is too big for me as those are the only sizes available. my Uzzi and DHR are both large sizes. any help or opinion will be aprpeciated. thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm 6'2" and ride both Meta 5.5 and 6 in large size. 750 width bars is best to get the reach but I can ride the Meta 5 with a 710.
    Best way to tell is maesure the front centre[ wheel base - chain stay] of your bike and compare with the Meta Geo. I drop a plumb bob from the same point on the head tube and measure back to the BB. You can put the seat back and fwd anywhere so i measure everything from the BB. The meta has very short chainstays and so it has a reasonable sized front centre. The Meta 6 seattube is steeper than the Meta 5 so the seat has to go back to get achieve parity in ETT. I would say the Meta 5 effective seat tube angle would be approx 73 and the Meta 6 approx 74 deg.I use SDG I Beam seats so fwd aft movement is not a problem. Zero offset dropper posts would be a problem.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 09-16-2012 at 01:54 PM.

mtbr member
    wrong topic sorry

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    hey gvs_nz, thanks for the reply. i actually went ahead with the Large 5.5 Carbon -- which is still just a frame now. i was too busy the past few months riding my other bike (dhr) that i almost forgot i got a new frame to build up.

i too plan to put on wide bars on it, can i ask you how long your stem on the 5.5 is? believe me, i thought about measuring the reach, etc. but i only got as far as visualizing how to do it all. har. i like how the iBeam saddles slide so far to the back but i dislike it's lack of center cush like the railed saddles do, and i also plan to get a dropper post for it. most of my parts will be swapped from my previous bike. some will be new purchases.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm just running it as an all round trail bike and don't go below 80mm.I run 780mm bars on my Meta 6 so I could get down to a 70mm with 780mm bars.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 11-06-2012 at 10:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the reply man. I just got an 800mm bar for my DHR so my old Renthal 780mm fatbar will be going to the Meta, i'll try a 70mm stem.