Thread: Meta 4X 2009

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Meta 4X 2009

I was thinking of buying a Meta 4X for trail riding and having fun, jumps and drops etc,

How do they ride on the trail, do they climb ok?

I have a Heckler 6" bike , but it can be a bit large for twisty tight runs and jumps, hence I fancy a Meta 4X,

The only 100mm fork I have is an 08 Argyle 409 solo air, should be strong enough?

I was thinking of the long frame I'm 5' 10" 30" legs long body,

What weight do they build up to?

I would be using single chain ring 1x9 XTR cranks with a chain device any recommendations?
    Easton monkey bars and a 50mm D2 stem are what I have to use for steering

V12 mags, xtr shifter and shadow mech, for gears

wheels I was thinking Hope ProII hubs 12mm axle rear 20mm front with Mavic ex721's

tubless stans conversion? Not sure what tyres any tips whats good for the Meta 4x

any other wheel recommendations?

I will be riding anything from trail centre black runs to local DH and single track /xc trails,

I just want a fairly light build thats going to be great fun

I have ridden my daughters Meta 5.5.3 and like the way it feels.

Any help would be welcome for a build and advice in general for the meta 4x ,

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

meta 4x trail bike

I have had a short/small Meta 4x for 2 years. It has a similar build as you describe and weighs about 30 lb. The frames are 7.5 lb. I am 5'9" and it fits me perfectly for 4x/dj. The bike is a blast trail riding (like a mini dh), and is my favorite for 4x, but it is compromised by the inability to get the seat up due to the super low frame and the top tube is quite short. Previously I rode a Blur 4x which is not such a dedicated 4x frame. It has a more traditional shape/size and was better for all around trail riding ( I even rode some laps in the 24 hours of Moab).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks brocelif, that's interesting about getting the seat hight , that will effect the climbing,
    I need to climb to have the fun on the way down my short legs may help :-)

local trails rider
    The commencal website gives the Meta 4X seat tube length as 375mm. That would mean a lot of exposed seat post to get into a XC position. A long (or extra long, to be safe) post would probably do it, but might not let you get the seat all the way down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

seat height

375mm that's about 15", my Heckler's 19" plus seat post of 5-6", I'm going to need 10" stuck out, a bit much, I'd need a seat post around 370mm, or just ride low and watch my knees on the climbs. should be ok ?? I think it may work out ok it won't be for epic all day rides my Heckler is for that,

local trails rider
    I have a couple of 430mm Thomsons, so length can be handled.
    At least at my weight, I want a bit more post in the tube, than recommended minimum, to avoid the torque of the post from damaging the frame.

edit:
    I am close to your size and have a bike with 40cm/16" seat tube. I think I have "enough" seat post showing:
    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.ph.../ppuser/266295

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yes I think your right, 100mm is normal but, as you say get as much as you can reduce the load, my friend cracked his meta 4 with a realy long seat post with lay back.
    He is really long legged
    I'm 200-210lb in my gear so extra strength would be a good idea.
    Last edited by jeffus; 02-10-2009 at 07:42 AM.