mtbr member

Looking for 5" bikes: RM etsx-70, Ventana El-Salt, or Commencal Meta 5.1

Looking for 5"-5.5" bikes: Rocy Mountain etsx-70, Ventana El Saltamontes, or Commencal Meta 5.1

My riding style is somewhere between XC and AM. I like both directions up and down, and want to feel safer when going down, but still don't give up on climbing abilities (especially technical climbing)
    What is your recommendation of these finalists?

Thank YOU, Chuck Norris!

Foe's XCT 5

Just bought one from another MTBR'er and absolutely love it! This bike is the bees knees, my man! It is a superb climber and a phenomenal downhill machine - just point and go. It is a tad bit burly (about 30 lbs), but you would certainly never know it. Want to talk about no bob suspension? Well, this puppy is the real deal. I don't know what your budget is, but I assume this is in range if you are considering Ventana. Try to demo one if you can.
    I see you're drinking one percent. Is that because you think you're fat?

it's....
    Throw Chumba XCL into the mix.

Mootsie

One for Ventana!!!

I am riding a Moots Cinco which has the El Salt rear triangle with the RP23. I have also ridden Ventana in the past. The Cinco climbs much better than I had expected coming from an '07 S-works Stumpjumper. I actually prefer it now. It tracks the bumps and if it does bob, I can't tell....downhill I think the Moots and Ventana geometries are similar, and the Moots flies. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    If you are looking for a 5" bike then you should be looking at the X-5 or the El Ciclón in the Ventana offerings. The El Saltamontes has a huge following and is a very good bike, but with 4" of travel and a 70 degree head angle it will probably not fit your AM needs very well. It is probably the best climber on your list though.

My wife and I both ride X-5s. I love the bike. Very versatile and it can be set up with 4, 5 or 6 inches of travel by changing the rockers. Mine is built a tad on the heavy side but it still climbs very well. I don't have the horsepower to take full advantage of it, but I have gone up some stuff that surprised me. Very stable on descents. It is a stiff frame that corners great. I know a couple of guys riding the EL Ciclon and they love them as well.

The Turner 5 Spot would be a worthy contender.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things