mtbr member
    Jan 2012

How to screw up a reputation, and customer relations!

How to screw up a reputation, and customer relations! An unbelievable true story of Commencal Bicycles
    This is a true story of Commencal Bicycles’ way of managing bike warranty issues and customer relationships.
    After careful consideration I decided to invest in a Commencal bicycle in the end of April 2010.
    After receiving my Commencal Meta 6, I immediately started using my brand new mountain bike, really enjoying it and my decision to purchase it as my latest bike for the coming years. But…
    On June 20th 2010 (less than 8 weeks from purchase) I noticed that the frame of my new bike was broken. Until then I had used the bike for less than 30 hours without any serious accidents or tumbles.

I immediately contacted the dealer with a reclamation, and after several e-mails and phone calls, both to the dealer and directly to Commencal Bicycles Company, I finally received a new frame. But no compensation from Commencal Bicycles Company for the costs related to parts changing from the old broken frame to the new one which was done by a professional bike service shop.
    This incident caused a breakage of approximately seven weeks in my summer cycling season, which in Finland tends to be the only season for cycling. In addition I ended up using 170 Euros for the exchange of parts to my new frame. I swallowed my pride and accepted the additional costs, because I had my Commencal Meta 6 ready for the next season. But…
    As I started using my bicycle, now with the new frame, in the summer of 2011, having cycled for approximately 40 hours, the frame broke again from the same location as previously. Once again I approached the dealer with a reclamation (on the 7th of August 2011).

Today, on the 30th of January 2012, five six after the second reclamation, I haven’t been given any detailed schedule or any kind of plan of when I will receive a new Commencal frame (once again).
    I have already sent more than ten e-mails and made several phone calls to the bike dealer, Commencal Bicycles Company and directly to the owner of Commencal Bicycles Company without receiving any kind of plans for a delivery of a new frame to replace the broken one. Only comment, “Do not call me I am busy and I do not care!” Constructive approach!
    Commencal Bicycles has promised to send me a new 2012 model frame, but without elaboration on the schedule. And once again Commencal hasn’t promised any kind of compensation for the parts changing costs, or for the time period having had a possibility to use my expensive Commencal Meta mountain bike (8 months without a working bike of the 21 months of ownership).
    So based on my experience so far, if you’re interested in purchasing a bicycle as a decoration item, then Commencal cycles might suit you. But if you’re considering on taking it for a ride, I’d really use very careful consideration before purchasing a Commencal bicycle.
    It seems to me that Commencal customer retention starategy is;
    We at Commencal Bicycles company will do our all so that you don’t want to buy a second bike from us because CUSTOMERS SUCK!

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Buy a different frame. Sell the replacement Commencal when it gets to you. Stop complaining.

Don't let the man get in the way of enjoying your ride. Dirt will make you happy again.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There is no bike company that will pay for labor involved in swapping components from one frame to another. If you bought your bike from a local shop and you have a good relation with them, they could swap your parts for free or a discount.

If you are really pissed, sell the new frame and go with other manufacturer for your next bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    At least you got a reply. I tried emailing them twice for the OEM shock spec of a 2010 Meta 55. ZIp response.

You'll find most bikes are assembled at the bike shop so Mfg usually just supply replacement frames under warranty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thakx, here i find a lot of infos...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi,
    where did your frame crack? I've cracked 08 and 09 model year frames, but 2010 is still ok after two seasons.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    The French are notoriously BAD about honoring any such warranty claims. I had my experience with Mavic...never again!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    The French are notoriously BAD about honoring any such warranty claims. I had my experience with Mavic...never again!
    Commencal is not from France.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd View Post
    Commencal is not from France.
    Close enough. The Basque(Andorra) speak French, and has the very same business mentalities about product liability.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well not that close ...

The basque are on the west side of France (by the atlantic), Andorra is on the East side of France (By the Med).
    Happy trails !!

www.pdpracingteam.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have not had any warranty issues with my Meta 55 carbon yet however I did have a few questions about the frame before I built it up and while it was being built. I emailed Commencal and they responded quickly to all my emails. I found their tech support to be very responsive.

But again, I have not had any warranty issues therefore I don't have any input regarding their warranty customer service dept.