Roll on Spring Time!

how far can you push a commencal meta 5.5

i have only heard good things about the meta 5.5 but only a few people ride them and how many ride them hard. looking to upgrade to full sus as i am going ape on my xc hard tail. trouble is i aint the smoothest rider. i just try something and hope for the best and slowly improve. the rider reviews are clear that the meta 5.5 climbs like a billy goat and is quick on the downs, but i like to jump and plan to improve my drop offs this year. nothing major, 3-4 foot to transition should be good, just enough to improve my all mountain skills so i can handle when the time comes.
    it is right in line with the cash i want to spend too. just dont want to break it doing something its not intended for.
    my other options are the 2006 enduro which is on sale, the sc heckler which also gets rave reviews from its riders. i still need to look into the yeti 575 which seems to be a hit judging from the AM pics and spec thread. my reasons for going to a longer travel would be purely to give me that little extra cushion and margin of error.

mtbr member
    You shouldn't have any issues with 3-4'ers to a good tranny on any of those bikes.

mtbr member
    By looking at the Meta 5 you can see the 1 piece triangulated swingarm, huge main pivot bearings, progressive linkage,12mm dropout option, looks pretty hardcore! It will be better for jumping off stuff than the other bikes you listed.

Krispy
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    A couple of magazine reviews I read indicated that the Meta 5 was more like 6" bike in its downhill behaviour and capabilities. On the downside, it's not as "super" light as some of the 5" competition.

Roll on Spring Time!
    glad to hear the meta is tuff. now i'm stoked to get home as i have arranged a test ride with the enduro and meta 5, both at my price point.
    cheers for da feedback

mtbr member
    No issues if you are under 190Lbs, over that check to better components (hubs and wheels). Then there is always the Team edition that can handle everything you throw at it

www.sirbikealotracing.com
    my meta 5 has been used 90% aggresive trail riding, however when a 6 ft drop to tranny comes along all i do is lower the seat and it takes it with ease no question

not to mention the frames exceedingly high quality, CNC yokes, 1 peice bb and main pivot, adjustable 10 or 12 mm rear dropouts, hydroform tubing, etc etc etc

just check out this pic

http://www.commencal.com/bike/mtb/index_en.htm
    : : :http://sirbikealotracing.com/ : : : : : : : : :

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I just bought a 5.2. Not too many miles on it yet but the thing is BUILT. I wouldn't worry about 4' to tranny at all. It was much lighter than I was expecting, too. The reviews you'll find on mtbr and elsewhere are spot on.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Roll on Spring Time!
    more feedback on the meta is great. not many riders on them, which is part of the attraction i suppose, so not much to go on. i am 6'2" 85kg which i estimate to be 180pounds. wouldnt say i am the smoothest rider as far as style and defo in the air department, balls to wall if you know what i mean. i would look at the rock shox pike and mavic en 321 hoops on hope pro II. i plan to save weight but never at the sacrifice of durability. i dont know how far i will push my aggresive riding but just want piece of mind that the bike will be up to the challenge or stupity when the time comes.
    i can only get one day test on the meta and will ride a route i know well so i can get a good feel. i would prefer the meta frame over the enduro frame as i would have more time to get the cash together. the enduro is on sale from 2006 stock. the meta would also prefer the pike which is my shock of choice.
    big up for the info boys

mtbr member

Roll on Spring Time!
    cheers druidh
    i have already spoken to the boys at real cycles. these guys are super helpful and friendly. if i go for the meta 5 frame i defo want to get it from them. not many dealers so i expect the commencal to stay underground for a while